Site Topics - Part II

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Check that. Its slowly filtering in.

2. cross22

cross22 Senior member

I got to hand it to you guys, this transition has been good. I hardly remember what the old site looked like. This is much faster and much less spam.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  3. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

:(

Haven't seen anything yet, but I almost exclusively read MC.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

It's both. Huddler has this spam filter that works really well. It puts thing into a separate moderation queue for us and then we go in and say yes that's spam or no that's not. The most badass part is that the filter remembers what you say is and isn't spam, and over time grows to become more effective at learning what we say is spam and what we say isn't.

5. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Senior member

+1

6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

what'd be funny is if when you hover over the Style Forum at the top left, if the "U" turned into a "V", not a white "U".

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

+1

this is an amazing idea. prob easy to do also. im guessing that is.

8. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I've got this hall monitor title... does that mean I can do some mod stuff now? how to I access the powerz?

9. in stitches

when you kill spam it goes off the screen into a queue where the mods can delete permantly or not, instead of just being flagged and hanging around.

btw - i wish i could do that

10. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

There's a joke about all your posts being spam that I soooooo wanna make.

11. in stitches

you just did.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Can I make a suggestion for the new B&S? Im sure you are all tired of hearing what could be different, considering all the work you put into it, but from someone who has sold $30,000+ and bought just as much on it, maybe I can offer some improvements...

1. I feel the urgency is gone from a new listing. Mostly in fact because the page views are not prominent. Half the fun and key to grabbing fast sales on the old thread was getting in there first, and beating everyone else out. When you saw (well, when I saw) a thread with 1 page view, I knew it was fresh and the whole thread was filled with possibility.

2. The preview of the text IMO should be totally removed from the main page. If the seller puts most of the valid information in the first 100 characters of the post, I dont even bother clicking on it, because most of the information is visible. There could be tons more info in there, but if I get the "gist" of the item by seeing the preview, I wont even click on it and I could be missing something by default assumption.

3. The number of replies is missing from the main page, and I think this is hugely important. Even if replies do not warrant bumps, I dont feel inspired to reply to a sale post. Im pretty sure nobody else does either, because since the new system has been initiated, nobody really replies to a thread. There should be a reply count posted on the main page - a hot item or an item with a bad/good provenance will get attention, and more people will click. The more clicks, the more buys.

There are other niggles that I can get into, but these are the most prominent issues for me. I used to refresh B&S like 40x daily - seriously - because I knew the urgency was there to "get in" as soon as a thread was posted... thats 99% gone lately, but I think by correcting these three things, it would help a bit. Other sellers and buyer can chime in if I am speaking for myself or the masses, but I really think that these small fixes would go a long way.

13. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I just realized one can click on the "+" button in the subscribed threads section and actually read the last couple of posts in the thread. Love that!

14. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Please allow multiple items to be posted in a B&S thread once again. Other than that I am liking the new system.

15. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Can't believe no one else has said this... IP check on Neo and Mr. Orange, plz.

You'll see in numerous Mr. Orange threads one will post, then the other responds 1 minute later. Also, they are complimentary characters, and if you noticed first time I called them out, neo's location was Sometown, Ohio and Mr. Orange had Sometown, Texas one of them changed after I pointed that out. So he isn't being subtle about it.

Sorry Neo, I've said many times now your schtick was better when you were subtle.