Site Topics - Part II

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    to JMRouse: but what about all the people who will like the half naked women in the appreciation threads? or the stupidity in the pink tie/panera threads. liking that and having that among the most popular threads/comments on the site would be a little embarrassing and weird, wouldnt it?

I was just speaking in general terms of how a system like this could be used on a web forum like SF. There seemed to be a lot of confusion on what a "like" system is and how it could be used. You bring up a good point, but I would guess that the mods would have the ability to prevent that from happening if it does. They would still have full moderation controls, I am sure.

Plus, I suspect DT would be left out of the loop in this area.

2. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

srsly, is there a way to get out a psa to all members not to reply to spam? is it so hard to just let it go. i know you guys try hard enough to get rid of it. when people keeping bumping it up to the top of the page its just dumb and annoying. AND NEVER FUNNY, whether you joined today or in 2002.

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

I was just speaking in general terms of how a system like this could be used on a web forum like SF. There seemed to be a lot of confusion on what a "like" system is and how it could be used. You bring up a good point, but I would guess that the mods would have the ability to prevent that from happening if it does. They would still have full moderation controls, I am sure.

Plus, I suspect DT would be left out of the loop in this area.

Considering how the star rating is used, rendering it pretty useless, I don't have high hopes for the "like" system. The more I think about it the less I, well ... like it. I'm not a typical user of the internet, but a "+1" (bandwidth issues aside) is actually part of a conversation. "lefty likes this" seems to be for people who can't communicate and better suited to 12-year-old girls named Tiffany.

lefty

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

If we didn't have the star system, there would be no way for Piob's threads to always instantly get rated one star. It would be like a little part of SF had died.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Considering how the star rating is used, rendering it pretty useless, I don't have high hopes for the "like" system. The more I think about it the less I, well ... like it. I'm not a typical user of the internet, but a "+1" (bandwidth issues aside) is actually part of a conversation. "lefty likes this" seems to be for people who can't communicate and better suited to 12-year-old girls named Tiffany.

lefty

The idea is that the system, used properly, would make a good resource for noobs and casual visitors. Note that there is no "dislike", and that this was purposefully built to discourage abuse. I can't check right now, but I think that you can tell who liked what as well, so that makes users more accountable.

If we didn't have the star system, there would be no way for Piob's threads to always instantly get rated one star. It would be like a little part of SF had died.

Haha. I wonder if we could just not allow likes for Piob's threads, at all.

Finally, for those who have been on the beta system. Yes, the actual forum will be much faster. Right now, we are running off some internal servers at the developers. However, the actual forum will be getting a lot more juice.

8. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

The idea is that the system, used properly, would make a good resource for noobs and casual visitors. Note that there is no "dislike", and that this was purposefully built to discourage abuse. I can't check right now, but I think that you can tell who liked what as well, so that makes users more accountable.

Haha. I wonder if we could just not allow likes for Piob's threads, at all.

Finally, for those who have been on the beta system. Yes, the actual forum will be much faster. Right now, we are running off some internal servers at the developers. However, the actual forum will be getting a lot more juice.

Glad to see Kunk was consulted.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Glad to see Kunk was consulted.
    I like your new avatar. Did you take that picture at the last meetup of the Jr. Mouseketeers?

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I know we're not supposed to reply to spam threads so can I get some clarification on this:
    I need to get Edina something for his birthday. This might be right up his alley.

11. NORE

NORE Senior member

I'm starting to think the 'New and improved SF' = the AE JLib.

12. nootje

nootje Senior member

With the move to the new forum, is it possible to leave certain members behind? It would be like tying them to a tree and go on to the new place..

It would be fun to see some lone individuals posting on the old forum [​IMG]

13. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I'm upset I didn't get to test the new site.

Is there a way to perhaps, have all n00bs with "ls" or "la" as their first two letters be approved? Might cut down on spam

14. nootje

nootje Senior member

I'm upset I didn't get to test the new site.

they have to stresstest the FAILwall before they can let you in, dont worry..

15. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

they have to stresstest the FAILwall before they can let you in, dont worry..

Oh well in that case... Good call (YET AGAIN) from the mods. They are the antithesis of Edina.