Site Topics - Part II

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, Feb 4, 2010.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

xo
    rp

2. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

xo rp
    [​IMG] Amantes sunt amentes -M

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

mods,

ive noticed a few spammers with a screem name starting with ls, like ls60, ls4, ls16... dont know if there is anything to do about it but it would seem its all coming from 1 source.

Yes, it is all for the same site selling counterfeit ugg boots etc.
    It got really bad one night a few months ago. Then it was all la(random number). But it was literally me sitting at the computer for two hours and doing nothing but killing spam. I was on a slow internet connection and by the time I'd opened a thread and spamified it, there were two new ones to take its place. It was pure insanity. At that moment, I really wished I did have a red hotline phone that went straight to Fok's bedside nightstand.
    Yep, maddening. AFAIK, only I ban IP addresses, and this spammer(s) keep using new ones, so banning them doesn't help. Banning IPs takes a lot of extra steps in this system and I do it for most spammers when I have time to go through it, but going through 60+ reported posts a day and doing that is not super fun. Occasionally I get to ban an IP that has 20+ spam usernames associated and that is nice. But this is one of the main reasons I haven't been posting much on the forum lately - most of what I see anymore is spam, broken rules and bad behavior and I get burned out from it. I was reading a news story complaining that most Seattle cops don't live in Seattle and I felt like I could relate to them somehow.

I cannot wait to get the new system working which should greatly alleviate spam duties.

Out of curiosity, what's the country of origin for most of the spammers?
    I would guess China - the IPs are irrelevant because it is often a proxy/botnet set up for spam posting, but the company selling the crap is most likely in China which is where most counterfeit stuff is made/sold.
    What happened to the 100 post minimum for CE?

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=382

Argh.
    I think I saw tapatalk mentioned as the culprit at some point? I just assumed it would be fixed.
    It is Tapatalk which doesn't work with our 100 post hack, and seemingly won't be fixed soon. I have to fix it by doing the 100 post thing a different way, which means I will probably have to ban everyone from CE (bummer!) and then have them all (w/100 posts) get added to a 100 post usergroup that has access to CE, which may take an hour or so to happen. I will try to do it one of these nights when it is slower in there so people don't blow their already bulging gaskets.
    something up with this guy. maybe just wants to get to B&S

fab100

Probably wants the 2 posts necessary to PM people, we let that slide because the alternative sucks.
    The forum is crawling along today. Anybody minding the MantonMeter?
    Happening quite regularly. The transition to the new servers/system can't happen fast enough.
    works fine for me.
    It's fine for me too right now but grinds during peak times, can't seem to fix it. [​IMG]

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

thanks j

also as a person who spends almost all day logged on to the forum I can say that I have had no problems with lag or loading the past few days

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

6. NORE

NORE Senior member

Yep, maddening. AFAIK, only I ban IP addresses, and this spammer(s) keep using new ones, so banning them doesn't help. Banning IPs takes a lot of extra steps in this system and I do it for... [​IMG]

Sorry for my previously making moar work for you, brosef. Fo seriously.

7. NORE

NORE Senior member

Verbis defectis musica incipit. - B
    Here's to quoting a non-Murkur'd vox poast. Yes, son. Yes! Voxie, to someone who joined here within a few months of me, how wetted are you when you decide to log on nowadays? Just curious. Personally I'm like half a fif of Dublin in.

8. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Humans or bots? I can't imagine it's humans. Some are clearly the result of searching the archive and generating an almost reasonable sounding message. A real human would take too long to do all that searching. Hell most of the people asking questions don't do a fraction of the searching needed. But a real human would likely post a better post.

http://whois.domaintools.com/

That's a fairly simple way to relate IP numbers to the actual info

I've seen some with fairly genuine answers. I think there's a mix of bots and wageslaves doing them. I figure there's about

1% genuine answers (maybe the guy was kinda interested)
    29% somewhat relevant comments sniped from the content of one of posts in the thread. "I think black suit am good and stylish young fashion"
    30% "Wow, I agree" or some other nonspecific one-liner
    40% Copypasta

9. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

A title for Ambrosi?

Mr Ambrosi is a good man.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

i don't know. on a forum full of narcissistic, over-amped adolescents, we need someone to set the bar. the rest of us look like mr. rogers compared to him.

Well, ordinarily I'm pretty indulgent of all stripes of stupidity and attention-whoring, but he's about to hit my ignore list - and unlike some other posters, I doubt I'll be tempted to peek at the crap he's spewing out.

11. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

T-Bird: I hate your signature

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

mods this is a serious question

could there possibly be a mass pm sent to all members (specifically newer ones) telling them not to reply to spam at all, instead to just report it. its never funny and it just keeps the spam higher up and on page 1 longer. or is there any other way to convey this simple message to the assmunches that do that.

13. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

mods this is a serious question

could there possibly be a mass pm sent to all members (specifically newer ones) telling them not to reply to spam at all, instead to just report it. its never funny and it just keeps the spam higher up and on page 1 longer. or is there any other way to convey this simple message to the assmunches that do that.

Might as well make this site or certain portions of it, invite only, ala demonoid.

14. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

T-Bird: I hate your signature

what specifically do you hate about it? [​IMG]