• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was so confused for about two minutes with the re-categorization!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i like it its cleaner, tighter and simpler. well done men upstairs.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seems like the beginning of community fragmentation - something you've been careful to avoid. But then I hate change in general.

What's the point of the B&S archive now? Does anyone other than the occasional noob use it?

lefty

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Seems like the beginning of community fragmentation - something you've been careful to avoid. But then I hate change in general.

What's the point of the B&S archive now? Does anyone other than the occasional noob use it?

lefty

Honestly, I don't think it will fragment anything. Most people currently probably don't browse via the front page and we haven't added any discussion subforums. The main reason we did it was as I said above, for the use of a hierarchical flyout menu, so instead of just two main catch-all categories, the top-level categories are actually descriptive of what is in them, and people can more easily narrow down to what they are looking to discuss. I think most regulars will stick with New Posts, My Posts and their favorite couple of subforums to browse the site. It just makes more sense this way on a flyout menu. The B&S archive will probably go away on the upgrade launch but for the moment it is just standing there. It does draw traffic and provides some resources in the way of measurements and price history on items sold in the past. And a few of the pictures probably still work.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do use the forum via the front page so it does seem fragmented to my eye. Tried "today's posts" once and it confused the hell out of me. Both old and grumpy.

lefty

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Most people currently probably don't browse via the front page and we haven't added any discussion subforums. .

srsly? i do.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I know that some people do, but most people when we asked a while back were browsing mostly in other ways. In any case I think you/other main page browsers will get used to the reorganization pretty quickly, since it makes reasonably logical sense. The only thing I don't like about it is that it makes the front page physically taller on screen.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It was a poll quite a while ago. Anyway, when you see the new navigation system the new config will make more sense.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Seems like the beginning of community fragmentation - something you've been careful to avoid. But then I hate change in general. What's the point of the B&S archive now? Does anyone other than the occasional noob use it? lefty
You know who designed the new look, right? Someone from San Francisco. Just to spite.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the rejiggering of the forum but might consider putting B&S at the bottom as it takes up a lot of prime real estate on the screen and would put general below life style so that DT is not in the middle of the screen. The first thing I saw when I just came on was the "favorite farts" thread. Not a good look.

Just my 2 cents.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
I don't mind the rejiggering of the forum but might consider putting B&S at the bottom as it takes up a lot of prime real estate on the screen and would put general below life style so that DT is not in the middle of the screen. The first thing I saw when I just came on was the "favorite farts" thread. Not a good look.

Just my 2 cents.

B&S is really popular. We want it to be in plain view.

J and I have differing views on the whether General should go before Lifestyle, or vice versa. Of course, since Jeremy actually does that work, he trumps me.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it were me I would probably put lifestyle above general (the lifestyle still focuses on "style" things...just in terms of furniture or food)

I would dump B&S to the end because while it is a big traffic driver, I am a little weirded out by people who only come for the B&S....better if they are encouraged to do a little posting elsewhere (especially considering the membership time requirement...)

I say this as a front-page browser. I always come in by the front page first...tick off anything interesting sitting on the front page for each forum, and then go to my posts or subscribed threads.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
B&S is really popular. We want it to be in plain view.

J and I have differing views on the whether General should go before Lifestyle, or vice versa. Of course, since Jeremy actually does that work, he trumps me.

I'll throw in my two cents. As things are organized now you have:

Frontpage (Topic specific)
Men's Clothing (Topic specific)
Streetwear & Denim (Topic specific)
B&S (Topic specific)
General (Everything else)
Lifestyle (Topic Specific)

In my mind, it makes more sense to end with general because it captures everything NOT discussed in the other sections.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads