Site Topics - Part II

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Where has Grand Master Baggins been?

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I am going to play washing machine, and start losing socks.

A big part of the current mess is this proliferation of sock-puppets, so if you have any suspicions of people with multiple-personality-disorder, PM me and I will check them out.

I just banned one, and I will basically flush that crap out as best I can.

Thanks Matt. I think the socks are a real problem these days.

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Can you guys imagine all the chicks I'm gonna get now that I am a spaminator? I might get business cards made. "sup gurl... oh me? I'm kyle. Yeah. I have spamination privileges on a website about men's style. What's that? Yeah I do live nearby actually. Sure we can go up to my place. Oh you want to bring your friend along too? I think that will work out okay."

[​IMG]

4. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

These "How can I get Vox to drink pineapple juice so his spunk will taste better" and "Do you think Vox will spunk in my mouth too?" threads have to stop.

5. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

These "How can I get Vox to drink pineapple juice so his spunk will taste better" and "Do you think Vox will spunk in my mouth too?" threads have to stop.

Those aren't in DT, so where on Earth are they???

6. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Senior member

7. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

As someone who's been around these storied halls for a while, let me add my perspective on the forum and its current direction. Unlike many of you, I'll never be more than on occasional interloper in the proceedings; for someone who's been a member for nearly eight years, my post count is pretty shabby. Still, I've learned a great deal in my time here (and continue to do so) and hope that I've contributed a thing or two in my days.

I value the forum in no small part because of its somewhat freewheeling, anarchic modus operandi. I've seen other forums moderated into a sort of musty torpor, and I think the relatively light touch of j, et al, has helped make SF a vibrant and continually evolving place. But that approach has come with a price. Bouts of nastiness have become more commonplace. Acrimony that has fermented in places like CE (which I view as much greater culprit than DT) has seeped into other corners of the site. And a kind of pervasively belligerent snark, more often than not, is the conversational tenor. Don't get me wrong--I think there are some fantastically witty practitioners of the snark. But it's an art that not everyone can master.

Some years ago, I had my own public withdrawal from the forum, as a result of a bit of ugliness I perceived as a somewhat unjustified ganging up on a fellow member. I was gone for about six months, but realized SF offered something that other places couldn't replicate. So I returned, determined that I wouldn't let occasional bouts of nastiness ruin my fun. Where things got to be a little too much, I just stayed away for a few days (weeks sometimes). Quietly and without my previous fanfare.

Once upon a time, entry into these parts was a relatively painless process. We were a smaller community, and the general tenor was much more clothing-focused. A newbie stood a very good chance of getting his questions answered, and was generally welcomed with open arms. Over time, however, things have changed. A new member today is much more likely to have his inquiries overwhelmed by piles of irony and, to the uninitiated, a series of inscrutable in-jokes. (Even I don't know what some of you are talking about half the time!) For those of you who have joined in the past couple of years, I really marvel at how you mastered the steep learning curve.

Overall, I think we'd all do well to approach one another with a little more milk of human kindness. There are some here who seem not to have an unkind bone in their bodies. Even in the darkest nights of their souls, they continue to turn to SF and offer something positive. Theirs is an example all of us--myself included--should strive to emulate.

Not gonna lie, this post nearly generated a tear.

As a noob myself, I'm reminded of how I started frequenting this site and without a doubt it was the welcome i rec'd from gentle souled Sr members who at the time who were willing to lend a hand in providing value added responses to misguided yet obligatory n00b questions like "which kenneth c....."

Admittedly, even though I'm still a n00b in most respects, I find myself today welcoming n00bier n00bs in the exact opposite way, trying to create personal satisfaction by throwing the first jab.

I've recognized my own faults (though relatively speaking I consider myself more of an "active reader" of MC vs poaster) largely due to the last few pages and will try to be more mature moving forward.

8. tomgirl

tomgirl Senior member

thanks! as a relative noob to this forum, i've never understood the admission of them. granted, most of us post anonymously as it is, though we do pick up identities in a certain weird way. but the puppet business seems to be used mainly to attack other members behind a screen, a weirdly malevolent kind of double anonymity.

on the other hand, i'll be heartbroken if tomgirl goes away.

Yea you will, because I'm REAL. Matt and Kwilk both know this for a fact. [​IMG]

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Yea you will, because I'm REAL. Matt and Kwilk both know this for a fact. [​IMG]

Just because you're real doesn't mean you're a chic.

10. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I've been quiet on this issue til now (though I haven't read much of the past 283 pages), close Dumb Threads already. Seriously, I think the forum has gone downhill since it was opened. The Fuuuuuu and best gif threads can stay, that's it.

11. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I've been quiet on this issue til now (though I haven't read much of the past 283 pages), close Dumb Threads already. Seriously, I think the forum has gone downhill since it was opened. The Fuuuuuu and best gif threads can stay, that's it.

As has been said before: you're perfectly welcome not to participate.

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    it's like the editor who says: "I don't care what you do, just be funny." some stuff works, some stuff doesn't. you can't tell which is when in advance, particularly in real time. some of the dumbest-sounding threads in dumbthreads have turned out to be the funniest.

13. tomgirl

tomgirl Senior member

Just because you're real doesn't mean you're a chic.

Kwilk saw that I was a wimminz on webcam. Srsly. [​IMG]

14. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

I have not problem with dumb threads. I do have a problem with dumb threads encroaching on the rest of the forum.

But perhaps that's just because I'm dumb myself, so when I'm in there I feel as if I've come home again.