Site Topics - Part II

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, Feb 4, 2010.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    like the avatar.

2. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

God bless you Manton! You will be missed, though I really hope you come back.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

God bless you Manton! You will be missed, though I really hope you come back.

+1.

4. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

This forum seems to be completely succumbing to the spirit of "Serious business!!", which really is just a license to behave as crassly and cruelly as possible. Everything is fair game and if you object, you are the one who has a problem.

I disagree with this notion. I've been posting for over four years (holy shit) and I dont think there has been a continuous decline in civility. Rather, I think the trend is that of ups and downs. I can think of several posters and incidents that have riled up the forum in the past (Vanity, biggest douche, FNB, etc) and each time things eventually returned back to "normal". I don't think there is any reason to expect anything different this time around.

5. redcaimen

redcaimen Bigtime

And finally, the widespread sentiment--reiterated above by redcaimen--that the ignore function solves all. That there's nothing wrong with the underlying behavior. The problem resides with the little sissy who objects.

I have never expressed the sentiment that there is nothing wrong with the underlying behavior. I think there is. I am pointing out that for all but the most brittle and controling of sensibilities this very real problem has a surprisingly easy fix.

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I have never expressed the sentiment that there is nothing wrong with the underlying behavior. I think there is. I am pointing out that for all but the most brittle and controling of sensibilities this very real problem has a surprisingly easy fix.

[​IMG]

7. Matt

Matt [email protected]

I don't know why I just remembered this, but I just had a flashback to when Nick M animated your Machiavelli avatar. Very very funny.

OK, as you were.

8. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Quasi-regret reading up on the past week of this thread.

Anyway, I agree with Manton here, and also think MS adds no value to this forum. And for what it is worth, I don't like that crappy "you mentioned your daughter" defense of MS.

I hope Manton will continue to participate if he wishes, but very much understand if he doesn't, having personally cut back my involvement on this forum as well.

9. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Well, I hope we can figure out a solution to this, because I see a fair number of valued posters dissatisfied with the situation. I'm hoping we can keep the community together until we have the new B&S in place, because it should alleviate a great deal of stress and time-wasting from me and the mods, which time we can then use to hang out here and do a little more "gentle nudging" toward civility like we used to. For me (and the other mods) the problem is that I spend a good 45 minutes a day going through reported posts, spam, user complaints and requests, etc., -- which I don't mind, I am not complaining -- but by the time I am done I am often too tired to just hang out and chat like I used to. I feel like I am losing touch with the people here and I don't want that to happen. It's also hard to have enough time and energy to get a handle on the more grey-area disputes and deal with them.

It's going to be a little rough period beginning of next year while we iron out the new system and get it to our liking, and I am seriously considering deputizing a couple more respected members to help with obvious spam and "community based policing" so that we are not overwhelmed and lose all touch with reality and the wishes of the community.

The knowledgeable members here are our greatest resource, and I don't want them to feel driven or repulsed away by lack of action, while at the same time we have to keep the spirit of semi-laissez-faire moderation alive. Hands off, but not anything goes.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I appreciate reading the discussion.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I am seriously considering deputizing a couple more respected members to help with obvious spam and "community based policing" so that we are not overwhelmed and lose all touch with reality and the wishes of the community.

Short list?

11. Matt

Matt [email protected]

you may have to dick around with the settings before you allow the Citizens On Patrol thing (just like Police Academy 4 woohoo). I was initially promoted as an overnight spambuster, but found out that spambusting comes with Squirrel access at the current settings, which you may not want people running around with.

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

For me (and the other mods) the problem is that I spend a good 45 minutes a day going through reported posts, spam, user complaints and requests, etc., -- which I don't mind, I am not complaining -- but by the time I am done I am often too tired to just hang out and chat like I used to. I feel like I am losing touch with the people here and I don't want that to happen.

yeah.. no time to mingle with your peeps. [​IMG]

13. j

yeah.. no time to mingle with your peeps. [​IMG]
    Blame the bumpers and the spammers.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Quasi-regret reading up on the past week of this thread.

Anyway, I agree with Manton here, and also think MS adds no value to this forum. And for what it is worth, I don't like that crappy "you mentioned your daughter" defense of MS.

I hope Manton will continue to participate if he wishes, but very much understand if he doesn't, having personally cut back my involvement on this forum as well.

if you banned people based on addition of value to forum you would have to ban the majority of ppl here

15. j