• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

Bartolo

Reaction score
As to the larger topic-at-large, the leakage of DT into MC, there definitely is a generation gap here.

Some one already posted in this thread about being in the "4chan generation" (largely 20-somethings). To these folks, the 'it's only the intarwebs lulz' means something rather different than it does to their parents' generation, which is comprised of us 40- and 50-somethings.

Setting aside the specifics of the current spat, the 4chan generation is always going to draw the line in a different place between the acceptable and unacceptable than do their parents' generation. There's still a line of course. That's why I think SF "works" when DT stays in DT, catfights stay in PM's, and when the line is crossed, wherever the mods put it, people get timed-out and banned.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
This NYC street fight would be the most the stylish rumble since the Sharks and Jets got it on over a Leonard Bernstein number.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well...my goodness....

ADDENDUM: Now that I think of it, though, I think SF might have been due for one of its periodic meltdowns. Now, this one was on a smaller scale than some of the grand meltdowns of the past, but it was (has been??) a meltdown nonetheless.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
OK, so it was my fault I brought up the kid. Fine.
That is not what I was saying at all. But then I hopyou know that. What we do know is that you can be pushed into anger and MS can be pushed over bounderies, easily.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I think my self-whoring ways have definitely yielded a couple of personal popularity poals, including a "guess ******** size" poll.
smile.gif

Look, let's be honest. There is a small contingent of haters out there. They primarily include you, gdl, and I thing fuuma. Oh, also I think mafoo. I'm probably missing 2-3, but other than that people don't get too worked up about my silliness. You shouldn't either.

I just find you to be one of those lame 20something losers the world has too much off. Not really angry at you but let's just say you're nothing and you mean nothing.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Yes. But not until after sundown. My monogrammed Harrington jacket is at the cleaners.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll tell you this: If Metro has been paying an iota of attention while on this forum, he should have known that Manton takes many, many things to heart and with strong conviction, therefore Metro is a fool for goading him while knowing that there is a degree of sanctity (for the lack of a better word) in the idea upon which this forum was built.

Yes, the mods were gracious enough to create a "man cave" for us, which is Dumb Threaks, where we could hang our stolen panties of the first girl ********* and talk about the most inane of topics. BUT, the coarseness of Dumb Threaks and its irrelevance to most of the rest of the Forum was really spilling out as of late. And Manton, being Manton, was indignant about it. He rightfully made a strong statement about it in an rightful attempt to get the silliness pushed back into Dumb Threaks. Yes, he addressed Metro directly, but that's what happens when you, Metro, self-appoint (intentionally or unintentionally) the face and voice of Dumb Threaks. And, Metro, you were the main culprit for bringing that coarseness out into the rest of the Forum.

So, to Manton, my perception is that you hold this forum in high regard and that you were simply trying to maintain its integrity - and we should all be so flattered that you would, because it is for the sake of all of us. Please do not leave for good, but I do think it's a good idea to take a break - your defensiveness is out of proportion to the matter at hand.
So, Metro, when you come back, I hope that you will learn that you

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
yes

edit: I'm from the '4chan' generation, so I guess trolls and low-blows don't really surprise me all that much, but I guess if you're not used to anonymity breeding dickbags I suppose you would receive it differently.

Problem here is Manton is less anonymous than most and trolling against him did often take a nasty, personal and RL dimension.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Wow, did I miss a lot entering IRL last night!

I'll add to the chorus; please continue posting, Manton.

Even if a guy mentions his family, they are still not targets for nasty comments. The only times I have ever gotten remotely upset here is when a douche drags my wife into the conversation. IMO, dragging in a guy's family in a really offensive way should be auto-ban, address posted for all to see, and hope they live near Kunk or TS so they can go visit.

MS, you are what you are and it really doesn't bother me. However, going for the family comments was too much.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Yes. But not until after sundown. My monogrammed Harrington jacket is at the cleaners.

Works for me, I don't get out of work until 8:30.

Boy, boy, crazy boy,
Get cool, boy!
Got a rocket in your pocket,
Keep coolly cool, boy!
Don't get hot,
'Cause man, you got
Some high times ahead.
Take it slow and Daddy-O,
You can live it up and die in bed!

Boy, boy, crazy boy!
Stay loose, boy!
Breeze it, buzz it, easy does it.
Turn off the juice, boy!
Go man, go,
But not like a yo-yo schoolboy.
Just play it cool, boy,
Real cool!

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A pity that some feel the need to create an online persona that gets a Life on its own. It can be fun in my opinionn but only in certain cases within DT. And fwiw, bringing in someone's family is way out of bounds, perhaps a gesture to be able to come back would be more appropriate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads