Site Topics - Part II

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, Feb 4, 2010.

1. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

None of you ladies answered my question about this Quick Reply button - is it an IE or personal/security settings thang? This is my work laptop if that means anything. I didn't mean to quote LA Guy above, but that's what happened when I hit Quick Reply. This doesn't happen on my personal computer running same version of IE. No clue what it is. It's as if Quick Reply is deactivated for whatever reason.
    Stop being so lazy and just CTRL+A, Delete/Backspace it or use the Reply button at the end of the page. In FF, if I click on it in the same tab, no quoting occurs and if I open the link in a new tab, it'll quote it.

2. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

Don't like it? Leave. Nobody's begging you to stay.

Neither you nor Blackfyre own, run, host, or in any way manage the forum. Free speech does not apply in nongovernmental entities. So, again, if j/fok/[email protected] don't want you saying something, either put up with it and follow their rules, or stfu and get out. It's really quite cut-and-dry.

Are you a mod? I'm not being sarcastic, I don't know. If not, why is it that you seem to have made yourself some sort of SF enforcer? Nothing that they said indicated that they didn't like this place. They were just discussing and it seems like you show up looking for a fight

3. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Are you a mod? I'm not being sarcastic, I don't know. If not, why is it that you seem to have made yourself some sort of SF enforcer? Nothing that they said indicated that they didn't like this place. They were just discussing and it seems like you show up looking for a fight

No, but I've run/managed plenty of online communities in the past. It always circles back to the "freedom of speech" issue, and it gets irritating after a while. In the end, freedom of speech is what the admins/mods of the community decide it is; nothing more, nothing less. I meant no ill will to you or Blackfyre, even if my post was harshly worded.

4. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Stop being so lazy and just CTRL+A, Delete/Backspace it or use the Reply button at the end of the page. In FF, if I click on it in the same tab, no quoting occurs and if I open the link in a new tab, it'll quote it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] It's not a matter of laziness - it's annoying. I'm pretty damn sure you wouldn't want to have to be re-directed to another page with a quote when most of the time you just want to do a quick reply without having to navigate from the page. But thanks for being so helpful. You must be a SW&D guy.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Teddie - have you tried using a different browser on your work comp? if its allowed that is.

6. Matt

Matt [email protected]

i think the bar anology is kinda stupid. if you say something in a bar that pisses someone off, and they decide to make an issue of it. you have the ability to defend yourself either verbally or physically. you cant do that with the mods here or anywhere, b/c the mods have absolute power. what he said as douchey as it may be is his personal opinion. if it offends than ignore the thread dont respond and let it sink and die. this bar thing only seems to arise when its something that personally offends the mod team.
    at which point management has the right to ask one or all of you to leave the establishment and ensure the doorman is aware of how long it will be until you are allowed back in. And I can think of maybe one instance where I was personally offended, like....ever. That particular example mortified a LOT of people...so no, personal offense doesn't really factor in. I'm Australian. We find offense a humorous character tester.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

at which point management has the right to ask one or all of you to leave the establishment and ensure the doorman is aware of how long it will be until you are allowed back in. And I can think of maybe one instance where I was personally offended, like....ever. That particular example mortified a LOT of people...so no, personal offense doesn't really factor in. I'm Australian. We find offense a humorous character tester.
    Ditto. I get pissed off at stupidity, but it's pretty hard to offend me. However, that doesn't mean that I can't take a look at a reported post and make the judgement "Yeah, that's sufficiently douchey that I should probably do something." FWIW, on average, it's once every few weeks or so that I have to do something, and we get dozens, sometimes over a hundred, reported posts, every day. Our intention is to make this a fun place to be, not to uphold the First Amendment. Tell the truth, the only US Constitutional Amendment that I care much about is the 21st.

8. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Senior member

a man cant voice a stupid opinion? i know both of you have been to the CE

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I believe that's the official motto of CE: A place where a man can voice his stupid opinions.

10. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Voicing a stupid opinion can be done in a non-assholeish way. I don't actually condemn the OP of the linked post because I understood the point he was making, but his phrasing was meant to be flagrant and was unwarranted. As always, there's a right way and a wrong way to bring up a delicate issue. Going "FUCK BREAST CANCER IT'S MAKIN MY FOOTBALL GAMES ALL PINK WTF!!!" is not the right way.

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Dude why do you keep pushing on this? You've gotten your answer, several times and several ways. Basically, it's this: Act like a douche, get banned. Of course that is very subjective. Some people can get away with saying something that others can't. Some people can push the line while others can't. It isn't fair, but it is the reality, and noone is forcing pennglock or anyone else for that matter to be a part of this forum. If someone doesn't like the rules, they don't have to stay here. I can think of one forum in particular where people that don't like SF all go to hang out and talk shit about it.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

^Your new avatar sucks

But.... I am Ted Mosby. [​IMG]

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

But.... I am Ted Mosby. [​IMG]
    In what way? [​IMG]

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

In what way? [​IMG]

I'm kinda stupid, not very funny, mostly boring, and spent my entire adult life trying to find something that you can't find when you're looking for it.
    Metrostyles is my Barney Stinson.