1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Single vs. Double/Side Vent

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sonny58, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Sonny58

Sonny58 Senior member

On another forum someone posted a list of traits that identify a well dressed man. One of them was whether their coat had a double/side vent (as opposed to a center vent) and it caught me by surprise. Is there some kind of preference for one over the other?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. HalfCanvas

HalfCanvas Senior member

I find that double vents are more functional and are more conducive to shaping the waist of the coat, but I don't think it is a necessary or sufficient condition to being well dressed. As more RTW suits have gone to double vents, the cache of the double vent has also gone down. In other words, if your double vented coat fits like shit, you won't be getting any bonus points for having a double vented coat.

3. RSS

RSS Senior member

From the first suit I had made on Savile Row, I've had all my suit and odd coats made with side vents. I do, however, have a few made to measure 'brand' coats that have single vents. But overall 90% of my coats have double vents.

However, I feel that one can be well dressed with either a single or double vent. Frankly there are many far more important factors than vents that come into play when determining whether or not one is well dressed.

4. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

I like and dislike both. You'll find a strong preference for double vents here.

The center vent tends to open with movement, placing hands in pockets etc. The double vent doesn't suffer from that but it it has that bum flap aesthetic to my eye. No vent doesn't drape over the body as nicely.

5. Sonny58

Sonny58 Senior member

Some googling indicated the center vent was developed to accommodate horse riding and and that side vents make it easier for a gentleman to access his pockets. I got the impression that center vents were more utilitarian.

6. js4design

js4design Senior member

People here dislike center vents, saying they show your ass when you put your hands in your pockets. But I do squats 3 times a week, so I prefer center vents. Ladies want to see the goods.

7. Sonny58

Sonny58 Senior member

I'd better stick to side vents I guess. :puzzled:

8. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

I would suggest you re-read RSS's reply again, especially the second paragraph.

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I usually have side vents on all my jackets, but on the advice of my tailor my next suit will have a center vent. He thinks it'll look better given the taper I need on the jacket.

10. RSS

RSS Senior member

Thank you laphroaig. Now I find myself craving a nice peaty Scotch.

11. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

FTFY :)

12. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

My understanding is, if you have a fat ass get a side vent if not single vent works fine.

13. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Is ventless better or worse for fat asses? (hypothetically speaking... I've got this friend, you know)

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

My guess is that ventless would be better for fat butts.

15. tsasls

tsasls Well-Known Member

Double vents require additional construction,but single vents looks better on me with few exceptions.

16. Fine Lifestyle

Fine Lifestyle Well-Known Member

There is often no one correct style for a jacket. In determining whether you want double vents or a single vent, you should consider which option better flatters your physique, and in general which option you find more appealing to you. The beauty of style is that it is unique to each individual. Personally, I like double vents as it allows for a bit more breathing room.

17. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Ventless can definitely slim a larger backside. But it comes with a price in terms of freedom of movement.

If a backside is larger from front to back I think a single vent works best at concealment.

If large from side to side I find a double vent conceals better.

I large in both directions - well it's hard to tell without seeing the garment on.

But that's just one guy's opinion.

Fortunately there are no rules in this regard that I'm aware of so it seems we are free to choose that which we prefer!

18. RSS

RSS Senior member

One word: caftan.

19. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Hi MC ..ok..for your friend then....perhaps I am mistaken but wouldn't the tailoring of the quarters also contribute to a good fit?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  20. Bowtiedlad93

Bowtiedlad93 Senior member

I prefer a side vent myself, I think it lends it'self to a more tailored fit coat which is what I normaly wear.