• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single-pleat to Flat Front?

windrunner

Reaction score
Is it possible to convert a single-pleat to flat front, thinking specifically by turning the pleats into darts, not the total conversion to flat front? Thanks

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is possible....

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I think its possible, but a pretty lengthy process that involves moving pockets, the entire waistband, etc. I asked my tailor about this once and he cringed.

And chances are, it'll cost you as much as buying new pants will... That's assuming you have a good enough tailor that can do them in the first place.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about converting double reverse to double forward pleats?
confused.gif

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
How about converting double reverse to double forward pleats?
confused.gif

That should be easy enough. Just take the waist-band off, reverse the pleats, then put it back on again.

Removing pleats completely requires reconstructing either the fly or the pockets, whichever is easier I guess.

Originally Posted by windrunner
thinking specifically by turning the pleats into darts, not the total conversion to flat front?

You mean just sewing the pleat shut? That should be easy, but you'll look bloody silly with seams down the front of your trousers.

Sebastian Melmoth

Reaction score
I have had this done a few times when I've bought suits because I refuse to wear pants with pleats.
The stores (Paul Stuart, Boyd's) are accommodating, but tailors definitely hate to do it.
I have listened patiently on several occasions while they describe how much work it involves.

An independent tailor is going to be even less inclined to do it.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BB will do it on their suits...I think they want like $60-65 to recut pants.

I have some double pleated suit pants and I wouldn't mind having it done but honestly when they are well pressed, they hang fine.

If they were cotton or something, I can see the pleats opening up and staying that way but in a suit (especially since the jacket covers the top of the pleat), I am ok with it for now and will keep my $60.

Martin Stall

Reaction score
I think its possible, but a pretty lengthy process that involves moving pockets, the entire waistband, etc. I asked my tailor about this once and he cringed.

He cringed? He's a whimp.

Martin Stall

Reaction score
It's easy, but it involves a lot of unpicking. It could mean moving pockets, or fly, or both, depending on cut and fit. Should not be cheap. If it is, you'll get what you pay for.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pockets will have to be moved and you might still be able to tell that it was done. but pleats are way much better so why even bother doing such a thing. The time and miney spent to do this is just not worth it in my book.

VictorJB

Reaction score
Possible but just ask yourself a question ... Are the pants really worth all this extra money I am going to put into them. If so then I would say go fo it.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Martin Stall
He cringed? He's a whimp.

My tailor ******* volunteered to do it for me without me even asking.

fight[1].gif

nexus

Reaction score
My tailor said its possible, but there are two problems:

1) If it can be done cheaply without removing a ton of material, it sometimes just plain looks odd. That is the risk you take.
2) If it requires the removal of lots of material, it is time consuming and thus expensive as they are effectively making a new pair of pants for you (reshape pockets, move the fly, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads