• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single Pleat Pant in a Slim Cut?

lauderdale75

Reaction score
Thanks to the great advice here at SF, I've spent over $2,000 in the past month on new clothes and on alteration fees to have each of my shirts slimmed down. They all fit great. My one gripe is that I have several slacks that are single pleated (which I like), but are all too "roomy." I wanted to know if anyone manufactures a single pleat pant in a slimmer fit.

I really like the fit of a pant with less room in the thigh and a shorter rise, like the ones that came with several suits I purchased, but I also like having a pant with a single pleat.

My alternative is to take them to the tailor to see if she can make the pants fit "slimmer."

I'm attaching herewith a photo from the TAT website that I cropped to show the cut I like, but again, I'd like something with a single pleat.

Thanks in advance for your help,

2867877849_74818e314f_o.jpg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
PM Sent. While I personally prefer flat front, there seems to be plenty of men out there who still like a slim single reverse pleat.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would think the pants can be slimmed a bit. I prefer flat fronts, but I certainly understand your trying to work with what you have.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Are you generally opposed to flat front?

flat front is a must.

If one has a broader thigh or hip, a pleat or two might not be such a bad idea, even with slimmer trousers.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have come to like pleats and had a single pleat put on my last pair of trousers. It's not that noticeable in the photo below. I find it a bit more comfortable than flat front. I like the extra shape it gives to the upper part of the leg as well, it helps to emphasize the taper of the trouser (if you like that sort of thing).

yfyf20080905rehm5.jpg

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A forward pleat is a good option for the taller of us who eschew the current low rise hip hugger fashions for men. Flat fronts with a long rise can look a little odd, so the pleat(s) make for a nice line.

jjjjeremy

Reaction score
For the past few weeks I have been searching for a few new pairs of pants, and I find as well that pants with pleats are much too roomy. I rarely consider looking at pants with pleats, let alone try them on, and when I do, I feel and look like I am walking in a tent.

Because of this I generally go towards flat front, slim and high cut. If I ever came across slim cut pants with a pleat, I would definately be interested in trying them.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lauderdale75
Thanks to the great advice here at SF, I've spent over $2,000 in the past month on new clothes and on alteration fees to have each of my shirts slimmed down. They all fit great. My one gripe is that I have several slacks that are single pleated (which I like), but are all too "roomy." I wanted to know if anyone manufactures a single pleat pant in a slimmer fit.

I really like the fit of a pant with less room in the thigh and a shorter rise, like the ones that came with several suits I purchased, but I also like having a pant with a single pleat.

My alternative is to take them to the tailor to see if she can make the pants fit "slimmer."

I'm attaching herewith a photo from the TAT website that I cropped to show the cut I like, but again, I'd like something with a single pleat.

Thanks in advance for your help,

2867877849_74818e314f_o.jpg

first the sleeves on that jacket need to be shortened. is it yours?
as to the problem slacks. if they are not suit pants and not altered,you might take them back.
you probably picked your waist size, not a good idea.
trousers should be chosen for the fit in the seat/thigh area. then the waist is altered to fit. most better trousers are able to be made larger in the waist about 2". besides its a cheaper alteration.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I have come to like pleats and had a single pleat put on my last pair of trousers. It's not that noticeable in the photo below. I find it a bit more comfortable than flat front. I like the extra shape it gives to the upper part of the leg as well, it helps to emphasize the taper of the trouser (if you like that sort of thing).

yfyf20080905rehm5.jpg

This is great. I think the pleat improves the trousers. By the way, yfyf, I notice you've gone for the 'American' two buttons on the cuff there, a very groovy move.

TintinATL

Reaction score
I too prefer a single pleat, because I have rather thick thighs (all muscle of course haha). But I do like the pants to be slim cut.

I have found some good ones from Hugo Boss in the past. I have also successfully had some single-pleat pants narrowed by my tailor. It was not very expensive and made a world of difference. I wear them all the time now.

lauderdale75

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their responses; I was out of the office last Friday and didnt get to respond to everyone sooner. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person that prefers a single pleat pant (in a slim cut). e-Haberdasher contacted me and said that theyre releasing a pant this October. In addition I learned that Banana Republic offered a similar pant in its "Monogram" collection, but has since been discontinued.

A Tailor -- Actually, those are not my photos I posted; they were extracted from the Thick as Thieves discussion thread. I only posted since I was trying to demonstrate the cut of pant I like.

yfyf - those pants (actually the whole suit) is great -- is that MTM or is there a way I can order the pants (or whole suit if necessary).

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lauderdale75
yfyf - those pants (actually the whole suit) is great -- is that MTM or is there a way I can order the pants (or whole suit if necessary).

Thanks, it's actually bespoke by WW Chan Shanghai. For the US, I suppose you could either wait for one of the tours of WW Chan HK or see if Jantzen, Martin Greenfield or Mr Ned could do something to order.

I think the closest you could easily get RTW is the Uniqlo single pleat trousers and then have a tailor alter the legs or try and track down a pair of Incotex? I haven't seen many designers doing a single pleat trouser. Everyone's loving the hip-level flat front these days.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Single pleat is on some next-level ****. You guys are sleeping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads