• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single Monk Strap Appreciation

I like Single Monk strap shoes?

• Yes

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

mjstamos1

Reaction score
Lot's of comparison threads and what not and many double Monk threads so as a fan of the Single Monk I thought they deserved their own thread. A couple of reasons I like them are they tend to dress down nicely with jeans and they dress up well with a suit. I know they are not everyone's cup of tea but show us your Single monks!

Here are a few links to help get the ideas flowing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monk_shoe

http://dieworkwear.com/post/57713004143/reconsidering-the-single-monk

http://www.gq.com/story/singling-it-out-a-case-for-the-single-monkstrap

St. Crispin example.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I prefer the John Lobb way of doing single monks a la Jermyn

mjstamos1

Reaction score
I can dig those, sleek and clean lines for sure, Lobb has a few cool single buckle styles!

I wear these JM's quite a bit, though in general I am not a fan of the smaller buckle.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing I like about single monkstraps is the (generally) larger buckle, which is easier to operate and looks nicer than the smaller ones on a DM. Having said that I only have the one pair at present - these Barkers. The Northcote in 'Castagnia' suede:

With cotton trou

With bespoke POW

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the only pair of single monk straps that I have. Actually I only have on pair of double monk straps, but since this is a single monk strap appreciation thread here is the single monk straps that I have.

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the only pair of single monk straps that I have. Actually I only have on pair of double monk straps, but since this is a single monk strap appreciation thread here is the single monk straps that I have.

What are they?

You mentioned double monks and it might be interesting to learn of the ratio in poster's wardrobes. I have two pair of DMs and just the one pair of single monkstraps.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are they?

You mentioned double monks and it might be interesting to learn of the ratio in poster's wardrobes. I have two pair of DMs and just the one pair of single monkstraps.
The ones above are the Saint Crispins model 545 Kiltie monks. I also have a pair of John Lobb William II double monks.

Last edited:

cowsgomoomoo

Reaction score
I am interested to see the single monk burgundy cordovan in the wild. Anyone?

sldsd

Reaction score

Carmina single monk in Polo suede from The Armoury insta...really like this pair

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads