• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single Malt Scotch Advice

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willie5566
What do you think of:

Ardbeg Supernova 2010
Aberlour 19 Year Old 1990 Cask 101774 - Cask Strength
Talisker 18 Year Old
Speyburn 26 Year Old 1980 - Cask Strength Collection (Signatory)

Much to my own dismay I do not see HP 18 or Ardbeg 10 available. Are there any others you think I should try?

Ardbeg Supernova 2010 - Better than the 2009 iteration. Better balanced, but still one of the most potent and peaty whiskies you'll ever drink (not nearly as brutal as Port Charlotte's Octomore)

Aberlour 19 Year Old 1990 Cask 101774 - Cask Strength - Haven't tried it myself, but I'd imagine it'd be a nice sherried whisky

Talisker 18 Year Old - One of my all time favorite SMS in the $80 or less category. Pretty hard to find... I cleaned out our local shop when they got a couple cases back in stock recently.

Speyburn 26 Year Old 1980 - Cask Strength Collection (Signatory) - Haven't tried it myself, but Serge Valentin rated this whisky very poorly. I'm certain it'll come with a hefty price tag as well.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a Macallan 12 guy myself.

I got a bottle of Macallan Casket Strength for X-mas. Been able to finish half the bottle, but damn that thing is spicy.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
+1 on Aberlour A'bunadh

I haven't bought a bottle of this since Batch 16 (missed the storied Batch 14), but I think I owe it to myself to go seek one out.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Bardamu
I haven't bought a bottle of this since Batch 16 (missed the storied Batch 14), but I think I owe it to myself to go seek one out.

29 is amazing. Tastes like some of the older batches (6, 7, 9). Better than the overhyped 26.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
a

HEY GUYS DO YOU WANT TO KNOW THE SECRET TO GETTING LADIES WELL GUESS WHAT ITS DRINKING CLASSY SOPHISTICATED BEVERAGES LIKE FINE SCOTCH

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ excellent drunk poast!

Nizdar

Reaction score
And now for a somewhat buzzed post.

Recipe for scotch amateur scotch appreciation.

Start with some Ardbeg 10, and enjoy the lightness and peatiness (not to be confused with light peatiness).

Go to Talisker 10, enjoying the malty/peppery/smokiness, somewhat reminiscent of a more smoky/peppery HP 12. (forgive my limited experience)

Transition to Talisker 18, a more subtle peppery smoke. (an improvement, I would say).

And finish with aberlour a'bunadh, whose strong sherry sweetness has never been better. (seriously, I did not appreciate it nearly as much when I drank it on its own.)

What can I tell you? Long freakin day at work. I'll moderate a smidge more tomorrow.

sf_esq

Reaction score
I started with Macallan 12, the gateway. Drank it over the course of a year (I was a novice). Bought a bottle of Macallan 18, dank it over the course of a month. That was it. Since then (about 5 months ago), I have purchased the following (in order of purchase):

Aberlour Abunadh
Suntory Yamazaki 12
Balvenie Doublewood
Bruichaladdich Peat
Balvenie Madeira
Highland Park 18
Glenmorangie Nectar D'or
Oban 14
Springbank 10
Laphroaig QC
Ardbeg Nam Beist

I went from Speyside to Japan, to the Highlands (with a brief stop at Islay) to Campbelltown to Islay. For the record, I haven't finished all of these yet. Although I'm salivating as I write this.

Personally, I think Highland Park 18 is the best of the bunch, although I recently tried the 12 and it was almost as good (and much cheaper).

Not sure what I'll want next. I find myself enjoying the Islay malts more and more.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
I started with Macallan 12, the gateway. Drank it over the course of a year (I was a novice). Bought a bottle of Macallan 18, dank it over the course of a month. That was it. Since then (about 5 months ago), I have purchased the following (in order of purchase):

Aberlour Abunadh
Suntory Yamazaki 12
Balvenie Doublewood
Bruichaladdich Peat
Balvenie Madeira
Highland Park 18
Oban 14
Springbank 10
Laphroaig QC
Ardbeg Nam Beist

I went from Speyside to Japan, to the Highlands (with a brief stop at Islay) to Campbelltown to Islay. For the record, I haven't finished all of these yet. Although I'm salivating as I write this.

Personally, I think Highland Park 18 is the best of the bunch, although I recently tried the 12 and it was almost as good (and much cheaper).

Not sure what I'll want next. I find myself enjoying the Islay malts more and more.

Try Lagavulin 16yr - it's amazing....

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
Try Lagavulin 16yr - it's amazing....

Thanks, tried it. The first time I tried it was when I was still in Speyside, so it was bit too peaty and bold for me, the second time was better. I may have to give it a third, now that I'm really enjoying the Laphroaig QC. Great stuff.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your palate is enjoying the peatier side of whisky, give Ardbeg Uigeadail or Corryvreckan a go (both superior to the Nam Beist, IMO).

giony

Reaction score
I'm addicted to Lagavulin 16yr, imho no taste of others can compatible! A friend of mine describes its taste as &quot;an old wet durned down house,&quot; so ymmv.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by giony
I'm addicted to Lagavulin 16yr, imho no taste of others can compatible! A friend of mine describes its taste as "an old wet durned down house," so ymmv.

My friends describe it as burned liquid band-aids - I love it.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon
If your palate is enjoying the peatier side of whisky, give Ardbeg Uigeadail or Corryvreckan a go (both superior to the Nam Beist, IMO).

Yeah, I'm quite looking forward to trying the Uigeadail. I actually just received my bottle of Nam Beist today. I had to hunt for it because it's sold out everywhere and no longer in production, haven't even tried it yet. Uigeadail may be next.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
My friends describe it as burned liquid band-aids - I love it.

The first time I tried Lagavulin, that's about what I thought. Could barely drink it.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads