• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single favourite live concert album...?

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only one:
I have many favourite artists: Waits, Coltrane, Monk, Simone, Velvets, Zappa etc but I have to admit that the single most rewarding live recording album I listen to over and over, week in week out, is the double CD Van Morrison: A night In San Francisco. It satisfies on so many levels.
The original meaning of R'n'B, Rhythm and Blues is exemplified here. A double album concert including the wonderful artists Georgie Fame, Jimmie Witherspoon, Brian Kennedy, Ronnie Johnson, and a guest appearance from John Lee Hooker. Van is on top form employing the full range of his phrasings and vocal abilities; gutteral drawls, incantations, harmonic drones etc. (Even as an athiest I can overlook the tracks referencing the Lord, the spirit and all of that stuff.) The pure, joyous sounds and harmonies (especially through my old Grado SR60s) is sublime. I find many live CDs over-produced, often unbalanced. I find the mixing here is just right in terms of spatial dynamics, under-/over-tones, backing vocals etc.
I would cite standout tracks as: I forgot that love existed; Vanlose Stairway; Ain't that lovin' you baby; Tupelo Honey; I'll Take care of you/It's a man's world; and In the Garden / You send me. Simply sublime stuff. Great musicianship, arrangements, the works. Oh to have been there... Were any of you?
If you're in a relationship or not there are songs on here for you whatever your place in life; you just need to be open to the pure beauty of the music, the melodies and harmonies; no preconceptions . Certain tracks simply destroy me if I'm in a certain mood. My girlfriend wonders (I'm sure) why I become more emotional and affectionate than usual. She's an absolute angel at the best of times and when I've had a dose of this music I want to give her everything, and more.
What a voice the man has. And he doesn't play the media circus like so many celebs with less than an iota of his talent. Delivers the goods year in, year out. No media BS, as he might say. Indeed, he is "˜Van the Man'. I hope some of you will listen to this, start to finish, in solitude, with an open mind, even if it ain't your thang.

Gherkins

Reaction score
11343.jpg

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tough call, I don't think I could name just one favorite. Levon Helm and the RCO All Stars's Live at the Palladium is so phenomenal. Helm, Donald Duck Dunn, Paul Butterfield, Dr. John, etc. One of the best concert bands ever assembled. There are some Oscar Peterson, Coltrane, Art Pepper, etc. albums that I really cherish. Few things rip my heart out like Pepper's late live work. Maniacal, inspired, sheer genius.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rush in Rio.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bill Evans' Sunday at the Village Vanguard or the Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Frank Sinatra with the Count Basie Orchestra Live at the Sands in 1966 and Velvet Underground Live 1969. I must admit that Aerosmith Live Bootleg was one of my first albums.

larsrindsig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Frank Sinatra with the Count Basie Orchestra Live at the Sands in 1966

True dat.

Originally Posted by Baron
Velvet Underground Live 1969.

As in the Quine tapes? 45 minutes of Sister Ray completely owns as does Follow the Leader.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
depeche mode-101

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nick cave and the bad seeds "live seeds" rem "so much younger then"/"we're having a heavenly time" bootlegs.
somuch.jpg
heavenly.jpg
this one was pretty good....
dedgiv.jpg
this husker du bootleg was good
12_mns.jpg

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tina Turner, Live in Rio '88 is so great. Stop Making Sense is
worship.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads