• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

single designer head to toe

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who says you can't subscribe entirely to a designers vision? Do you take this philosophy everywhere? Do you hack your restaurant meals up and only eat certain pieces? Do you listen to songs only in playlist form and not as whole albums? It may be easier to only wear one designer, it may not take a genius, but there's no shame in it and the look itself can be more individualized than someone who is simply wearing a variety of labels for the sake of variety and without cohesion.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Really not that difficult to wear a lot of designers head to toe and look pretty normal, even the higher end guys. There are tons of trousers, button ups, sweaters, laceups, boots, blazers and outerwear that wouldn't really make a difference what brand they are and it's silly to worry about that. Even with more unique items, you could still do it and be fine. Just approach it as you would putting together any outfit. I don't really get what people are confused or arguing about or why this is on the 2nd page (yea, i roll on 40posts per)

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind doing it for a while with CdG, Junya, Thom Browne, Our Legacy, Gilded Age, or maybe Prorsum. It'd get boring after a while, though.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The point I'm making is that you guys are treating it like its a faux pas, and there really is nothing inherently bad with wearing all one designer. Its not like if you walk out of the house wearing all of one designer people are going to somehow identify you as a tool or something.

Can a person wear all a single designer and look good? Of course.

BTW, I don't own enough of any brand to go head to toe.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally wouldnt mind to wear EG or 45rpm head to toe, but I wouldnt try to recreate lookbook/runway looks if i did so either.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
The point I'm making is that you guys are treating it like its a faux pas, and there really is nothing inherently bad with wearing all one designer. Its not like if you walk out of the house wearing all of one designer people are going to somehow identify you as a tool or something.

Can a person wear all a single designer and look good? Of course.

That has nothing to do with what we are arguing. I said it's wack you said it wasn't. You can do it if you wish and people on the street will not know, then again people on the street wear crocs so if that satisfaction appeals to you by all means.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
I personally wouldnt mind to wear EG or 45rpm head to toe, but I wouldnt try to recreate lookbook/runway looks if i did so either.

They don't hold runway shows...

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What if you wore only one tailor? Granted, that's more of a MC thing but it's still technically a designer (sans footwear, I don't know of any tailors that make shoes as well)

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In general, no, but as others have said, some designers with a very signature style look much better together. Yohji, for example.

Others that don't... i.e. Marc Jacobs, Costume National, etc. seem to be better with mix n match pieces.

Clothing items, too, that go well together don't bother me much... but when they go FULL monty down to a watch, socks, belt, bag, wallet, ipod case, etc. (often things that the designer doesn't even really care about except as a tacked-on license)... then it's a bit much and screams fashion victim.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have worn J. Crew head to toe. I also could easily wear John Varvatos items head to toe, but I would use his different lines USA, Converse, and Mainline

Brian SD

Reaction score
I like to go halvsies. Half of one designer, half of another.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worn dickies mostly head to toe (red wing boots). but that was at work, does that count?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^As others have said, J.Crew, Gap, etc. don't really count in this discussion as "Designers," I don't think. I mean, you could wear H&M or Zara head-to-toe and basically look like you're wearing Dior, Givenchy, Prada, and who knows what else. They are overall brands creating basic garments, not really pushing a comprehensive or single vision/aesthetic for their menswear. WHen I think of "designer head to toe" I think of a single menswear line from a fashion-label... i.e. a Fendi shirt, fendi pants, fendi belt, fendi shoes, a fendi bag, and a fendi beanie cap with interlocking "Fs" on it.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads