• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single breasted suit with peak lapels

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have one SB peak, and it is a one button:

282793150_sYXiG-L.jpg

I won't do many of these, but I do like it. My guy uses the same buttoning point for threes, twos, and ones.

The key for me is a bit of belly in the lapels:

282793167_wAWdQ-M.jpg

I also like examples of SB peaks on casual odd jackets, but very casual...almost streetwear. I have a couple of Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole Sammies that are unlined and unpadded, and like them even if the peaked lapels are rather emaciated...they're for kicking around or jeans for me.

- B

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like peak lapels on sigle breasted suits, they will date pretty quick.

Cordovan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
282793150_sYXiG-L.jpg

The key for me is a bit of belly in the lapels

Very nice. Quite true about the belly - it makes all of the difference and really softens is up.

Cordovan

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lbcgav
Attachment 10674

I disagree entirely.

This is a really great picture, but I think it's helped a lot by the long shirt collar points as well. Look how low the gorge is and yet it works so well.

Well, since everyone is throwing in their peak lapels, here's an old one from the archive. Larger than average lapels, high points, quite a lot of shape, hacking pockets. One of my favourite outfits to wear, unfortunately the weather is no longer suitable for it
frown.gif

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few, a 2B as well as a 1B - all from GA.

Here's the 2B
Sports Coat - Charcoal & slate 2B SB peaked lapel mini nail-head pattern. Wool/rayon/viscose/nylon (Giorgio Armani Black Label)
L1000901.jpg

L1000907.jpg

L1000910.jpg

Will take some pics of my new 1B tomorrow.

John Ellis

Reaction score
This was a classic look very popular in the thirties although it was probably worn with a vest in those days. Or at least all the pics I've seen show it this way. Accordingly in our vestless age the cut is somewhat different I think with the fastening a bit higher than in 1935. I've always been a bit negative about it but had a grey suit made in this style a couple of years ago and it's actually very flattering. I even recently bought a RTW sportcoat from BB in linen with peaked lapels and it looks excellent. For business wear I'd probably steer clear of it and stick with the notched lapels but it seems to me every wardrobe could take at least one suit in this style which could be worn on social occasions. It looks best on the tall and medium slim build man.

RyanM

Reaction score
Charcoal & slate 2B SB peaked lapel mini nail-head pattern. Wool/rayon/viscose/nylon (Giorgio Armani Black Label)
..really?

Cordovan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by remy185
..really?

What do folks here think about getting a button hole in each lapel similar to DB jackets for a SB peak lapel jacket (suit coat or sport coat)?

(Maybe I should just check their pics to see their thoughts)

Cordovan

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cordovan
What do folks here think about getting a button hole in each lapel similar to DB jackets for a SB peak lapel jacket (suit coat or sport coat)?

(Maybe I should just check their pics to see their thoughts)

Cordovan

Don't

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one SB peak, and it is a one button:
282793150_sYXiG-L.jpg
I won't do many of these, but I do like it. My guy uses the same buttoning point for threes, twos, and ones. The key for me is a bit of belly in the lapels:
282793167_wAWdQ-M.jpg
I also like examples of SB peaks on casual odd jackets, but very casual...almost streetwear. I have a couple of Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole Sammies that are unlined and unpadded, and like them even if the peaked lapels are rather emaciated...they're for kicking around or jeans for me. - B

I think of the single breasted peak lapel as a stylized and uncluttered look with the waist button help to complete something like an imaginary X. The pockets and the extra ticket pocket distract from the longer, more formal effect the SBPL can grant the wearer. That's why i also think a single button and no bouttoniere also look better with this jacket style. I have several peak lapel jackets with two button fronts and bouttonieres but never again.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I think of the single breasted peak lapel as a stylized and uncluttered look with the waist button help to complete something like an imaginary X. The pockets and the extra ticket pocket distract from the longer, more formal effect the SBPL can grant the wearer. That's why i also think a single button and no bouttoniere also look better with this jacket style. I have several peak lapel jackets with two button fronts and bouttonieres but never again.

I see what you are saying.

This suit is a mutt on purpose, and I do not plan for it to have many duplicate siblings. Without the peaked lapels, it is a straight on, tweed country suit...well, in a lightish tweed.

But I do not wear it as such. The country/city dichotomy does not apply to my lifestyle in ways expressible in tailored clothes...when I'm in the country, I'm dressed like, for example, so (here last May on Mt. Wachusetts, a little hill):

291422511_g6sEL-M.jpg

For pretty much anything I might do in the country, technical clothing of the 21st century is appropriate. Suits, not.

When I'm in the city (my little provincial city, Boston), in my line of activity, conservative business dress marks a person as a fixer or member of someone else's staff, and the NYC financier look marks a person as...a NYC financier, and probable Yankee fan. So, I bring country and casual into my day wear, rules be damned.

Where you might argue plausibly a detail "distracts," I would subsitute the word "attenuate." The suit says (to me, maybe to no other...), "Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside." But the lapels whisper, "Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue."

And that is done on purpose, not by accident. I try to have my clothes serve me, and not the other way around.

- B

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by remy185
..really?
- I will try & take a pic of the fabric label.. - GA has a habit of very strange fabric mixes. - I recently picked up a navy 2B notched lapel thinking it was a textured wool only to find out it is 100% Viscose! - Also I should correct (cut&paste fiend here) the weave from nail-head to 'Armani' basket weave, as I have seen this type on a few other GA fabrics as well.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see what you are saying. This suit is a mutt on purpose, and I do not plan for it to have many duplicate siblings. Without the peaked lapels, it is a straight on, tweed country suit...well, in a lightish tweed.
I figured your suit was basically country with some zing. I have a worsted suit which looks like a brown teed with a faint pumpkin windowpane which is also supposed to have that country but city look; that's very Paul Stuart. As you surmised I was speaking in the abstract. I have no problems experimenting with say a peak lapel linen suit. The lapels would have to be done just so but because it's unexpected it can be interesting.
... conservative business dress marks a person as a fixer or member of someone else's staff
I think i know what you mean
wink.gif
...and NYC financier look marks a person as...a NYC financier, and probable Yankee fan
heh heh
devil.gif
So, I bring country and casual into my day wear, rules be damned.
That's very well said. I think we all simply discuss why we break the rules, it gives us focus and funnels our creativity.
And that is done on purpose, not by accident.
Well, then it's good I didn't realize that. it's always best to do something on purpose and have it look accidental.
I try to have my clothes serve me, and not the other way around. - B
I wouldn't have it any other way. Otherwise youll never look at ease.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads