1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Single Breasted, Peak Lapel

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by odoreater, Oct 16, 2006.

1. LARon

LARon Distinguished Member

The single peak is a classic and the suit that I have more of than any other (nine). Even though I've sworn off going to RLPL, they do cut my favorite SB peak. Good luck with your search; you're in pursuit of one of my favorite animals.

2. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Distinguished Member

This sounds awfully submissive. Since when does a man who sweats blood to earn his keep -- as most young associates do -- need to bow his head until he reaches "a certain age" simply to wear the clothes of his choice??? If you work in an environment where those who (obviously) lord over you reserve the right to censor what you wear with a simple look, or break you down because you've chosen to wear a beautiful suit, then you need to evaluate whether you're in the right place -- or be castrated.

I choose to tuck in my pocket square at work.

3. LARon

That's weak.

I hope that once you develop your own book you'll stop bending over for the other guy (but, by then, you'll probably be married -- and it starts all over again).

4. SGladwell

SGladwell Distinguished Member

Barbera has done a bunch of them.

Also, I think "the rules" on them have been getting relaxed. After all, Jon Stewart's taken to wearing them.

5. Dragon

Dragon Distinguished Member

I think a lot of men are shy about dressing up, including SF members. The society around us has become so casual, that a simple pocket square seems to stand out from the crowd. Perhaps that is why the white linen, TV fold is so popluar among men who decide to wear a square.

Personally, I don`t see why a peak lapel SB would not be appropriate for business. It`s probably more formal than a notch lapel SB, and 99% of the people around you probably wouldn`t notice anyway.

6. LARon

And those who did notice would probably be impressed to see the refined change of pace.

7. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

and 99% of the people around you probably wouldn`t notice anyway.

99.9 [​IMG]

8. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

Given such specific requirements, perhaps bespoke would be the best way to get the look and fit desired?

9. odoreater

odoreater Distinguished Member

Just to straighten things out - I don't think anyone at my work would mind or care that I'm wearing a sb peak lapel suit. I'm not sure that clients would notice or care either. But, I choose not to wear things like a pocket square or SB peak lapel to work (or DB for that matter), because I think it makes me look more interested in what I'm wearing today than in my work - which is not the impression that I want to give. Who knows, after I get the sb peak lapel and see how it looks on me, I might decide that I feel comfortable wearing it to work. Anyway, thanks for all of the great suggestions. I might look into something like a Corneliani or Kilgour. I think the Oxxford, RLPL and Barbera are probably out of my budget.

Also, iirc, there were some sb peak lapel "Valentino" suits at C21. What's the word on those?

Now, back to sweating blood to earn my keep...

10. knittieguy

knittieguy Distinguished Member

11. odoreater

odoreater Distinguished Member

Doubt it is fully canvassed, but this is a great looking single breasted peak lapel. I'd wear it at a law firm, junior associate or no junior associate. - http://www.markshale.com/productdeta...prodid=7510117

too bad it doesn't have side vents.

12. pscolari

pscolari Distinguished Member

FWIW Last year I picked up a Polo Blue Label SB PL in dark blue flannel at the Boston store. Jacket is 3-roll-2 with side vents. Pants are single pleat with side tabs instead of loops. I love this suit for out of the office (great for weddings), but do wear it on occasion to work, just not as part of my regular rotation though.

Just thought I'd mention this in case you thought you had to go to RLPL for this type of thing.

13. Teacher

Teacher Stylish Dinosaur

[​IMG]

Niiiiiice!

14. Duveen

Duveen Senior Member

I am wearing an Oxxford in this fabric (a nice grey nailhead) today - not a peak-lapel, just a nice little Manhattan II bought on Ebay. But seeing this suit made me smile.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

That's weak.

I hope that once you develop your own book you'll stop bending over for the other guy (but, by then, you'll probably be married -- and it starts all over again).

Yet another hopeless romantic roaming the board. [​IMG]