Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Single breast peak lapel flannel/houndstooth: how many buttons ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by thomas8991, Nov 27, 2013.

1. thomas8991

thomas8991 Member

Hi,

I am in the process of having a suit made MTM or bespoke but I have a hard time figuring out the details

I am confident I want a single breast (double breast a bit too formal at my work) and peak lapels (as most of my over suits are notch). I find the houndstooth flannel cloth to be really nice (see pic)

However, I have a harder time figuring out how many buttons I should go for.. I would hopefully like to use the jacket separately in some occasion
    - initially I wanted to go for one (thinking jacket and huntsman in my mind)
    - recently, I am much more leaning towards 2 or 3 (with one hidden) button

I was told 3 buttons is more old school and I thought it might be nice and different to go for it
    The tailor I think is very good and I am confident he will have the proportions right so that my "experiments" wont look too odd..

Do you have any advice on the buttons, cloth (brownish/greyish) or some pics of models that could help me figure this out ?
    Thanks all for the help !

Thomas

p: below some pics/models and Mr Terry Haste in a 3 button SBPL..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

If you're thinking of Huntsman, and you've already gone for peak lapels, why not get a one button jacket?

3. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

I find that peak lapels are too formal on a single-breasted suit made in a very informal flannel houndstooth. If you want a single-breasted suit with peak lapels, go for a dressier worsted cloth. And definitely not a houndstooth check. But if you like Huntsman, go for their signature look of a single button and notch lapels. It works with any type of cloth, from a brown flannel check to a dark navy worsted.

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

Your best option is to look at others and see which you prefer. I would commend three but I am not wearing it.....

5. thomas8991

thomas8991 Member

Huntsman wouldn't be the tailor. I'm hoping terry haste who worked as their MD would cut it though
    I'm not entirely sure I understand why peak lapel/one button (huntsman style) with houndstooth would work but not the equivalent with 2 buttons..

Happy to see some examples/pictures you have in mind. I spend a lot of time researching but still having a hard time to figure this out
    Thanks for the answers though

6. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

But Huntsman style is generally one button with notched lapels, not peaked lapels.