• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single big purchase or multiple small?

legorogel

Reaction score
Considering where youer live in Switzerland, how about buying an appartment, you would save Rent, and instead invest it in something you actually own, I guess you could even call it "spend some money on yourself"...

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by legorogel
Considering where youer live in Switzerland, how about buying an appartment, you would save Rent, and instead invest it in something you actually own, I guess you could even call it "spend some money on yourself"...
I rent an apartment for dirt cheap in a house my parents own. I considered buying an apartment to save taxes but it turned out that with today's law you don't.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
For me, nothing beats a good vacation as an expenditure of resources. Lifetime of memories >>> nice shiny object. YMMV. Only consider the car if you really, really enjoy driving. As in take the car out every weekend to the track or for a long drive in the countryside.
What he said.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I wouldn't put that high of a percentage of my income cash-wise into a used car, but you can probably afford to get a car and still enjoy yourself. Just lower your standards for the car a bit. What are car prices like in Switzerland?

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I wouldn't put that high of a percentage of my income cash-wise into a used car, but you can probably afford to get a car and still enjoy yourself. Just lower your standards for the car a bit. What are car prices like in Switzerland?
I'm buying in Germany cuz I'm actually living in Germany but working/clubbing/hanging out in Switzerland.

Can't judge prices here. www.mobile.de Should be easy to figure out.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've owned so many German cars that I actually clicked on that site and somehow knew how to read all that. hm. interesting. Anyway, considering the costs of owning a car over there, I'd personally buy something like a new Scirocco 1.4TSi with the 160ps, six speed. It seems to better suit your budget, IMO. something like this, maybe: http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/sh...e&pageNumber=1

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón
So I'm at the point in life where I have to contemplate for the first time what I want to waste my hard earned money on. I'm a small timer with an income around 65k EUR a year (goes up or down a bit, depending on success). I'm single steering into a relationship but we're not going to live with her for some years and therefore we're looking at only 1 income. I'm renting an apartment dirt cheap for 350 a month. Now I'm a bit confused what to do. I have savings in the lower 5-digit range.
It dosen't sound like you have money to waste on anything. You should be trying to optimize your spending vs. investments since you have limited savings. I'll assume "savings in the lower 5-digit range" includes investments and I'll assume (hope) you are relatively young. Try prudentially investing at least 50% or more of what you make. Doesn't sound like you have good financial management skills if you've got low 5-digit savings on a 85KUSD salary (which outside of StyleForum, is a relatively high salary for a single professional). As a data point, I had amassed low 6-figure savings/investments three years out of college on a similar salary with (in retrospect) less than optimal fiscal control.

level32

Reaction score
I'm going to go against the grain here and say buy the car if it really is your dream car. From what I read, it seems like your family is decently well off and keen on supporting some of your needs. Combine that with your own adequate salary and I'm sure you can still live comfortably. I don't even know how I could take three vacations a year anyway.

Think about your value function of enjoyment. Value from driving your dream car nearly every day vs value from your extra vacations and slightly more clubbing.

(You know you wanted someone to tell you buy the car. Here is your confirmation.)

mschm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Try and find the car used. You should have no problems finding it in Germany. With the crazy EU gas prices I'd get something as economical as possible.

Agree wholeheartedly. Cars are a bad investment. Get one very used, and the longer you wait, the cheaper they get. Good car choice though, provided you never have to haul a kid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads