• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Singin' in the rain

AlexDeLarge

Reaction score
What do you do when a rainstorm hits out of the blue and your strollin' in your dry denim?

Im talking a down pore.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you get wet....end of thread

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, I try to get out of the rain.... if that doesn't work, then I stay in the rain.

I'd prefer not to get soaked, but past that, I don't care if it's in a pair of khakis or raw denim. It's just water.

Reaction score
Here is my lesson from the heavy rain: on your way, you meet a shower. You dislike to get wet, so you hurry along the streets running under the eaves. Still you get wet all the same. As long as you accept that you will get wet, you won't suffer from being wet.

~ from The Bushido

AlexDeLarge

Reaction score
How do you guys not care? If your pants get soaked and you've only had them like 2 weeks wont that mess with your fading? Say you have a $220+ pair of jeans wouldnt you have an ounce of care?

AlexDeLarge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
nope
fading will occur regardless of one rain storm

So you're saying if you bought a pair of jeans that are sanforized and most users recommend against pre soaking like say APC. You wouldnt be upset to have them presoaked by nature in your first few weeks?

Chinook

Reaction score
fading will occur if you threw them in the wash the first day you bought them..

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlexDeLarge
So you're saying if you bought a pair of jeans that are sanforized and most users recommend against pre soaking like say APC. You wouldnt be upset to have them presoaked by nature in your first few weeks?

Nope
It happened to me within a month, I didn't care, my APCS are still faded from natural wear...

Don't be obsessed with your jeans, they are just jeans, don't glorify them, just wear them and let the fading happen naturally

AlexDeLarge

Reaction score
Nope
It happened to me within a month, I didn't care, my APCS are still faded from natural wear...

Don't be obsessed with your jeans, they are just jeans, don't glorify them, just wear them and let the fading happen naturally

Im in no way glorifying them, and yes of course im wearing them to have natural fading. However many things can happen "naturally" for instance I could naturally spill a glass of wine on them or naturally roll around in dog **** but I wouldnt. Same thing goes for rain storm soaking. It just seems like if you wouldnt soak them on your own within the first few weeks why not seek shelter or change during a rain storm. I know its a popular belief around here to be like "i dont care id wear my jeans through a hurricane , theyre just jeans", does everyone really not care?

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys not care? If your pants get soaked and you've only had them like 2 weeks wont that mess with your fading? Say you have a $220+ pair of jeans wouldnt you have an ounce of care?

Because water doesn't really effect raw denim, or at least as much as a lot of people think it does, and even less if there is no agitation. The only thing I'd really care about is my other clothes, as the indigo might bleed on them.

Im in no way glorifying them, and yes of course im wearing them to have natural fading. However many things can happen "naturally" for instance I could naturally spill a glass of wine on them or naturally roll around in dog **** but I wouldnt. Same thing goes for rain storm soaking. It just seems like if you wouldnt soak them on your own within the first few weeks why not seek shelter or change during a rain storm. I know its a popular belief around here to be like "i dont care id wear my jeans through a hurricane , theyre just jeans", does everyone really not care?

I soak the majority of my raw denim the day I buy it...

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is this your first pair of 'premium jeans'? I think if it was a downpour i'd be siked to wear a rain parka and some boots, haha...

I think overtime as you get more and more denim you really won't give a crap, and whatever happens happens

AlexDeLarge

Reaction score
Is this your first pair of 'premium jeans'? I think if it was a downpour i'd be siked to wear a rain parka and some boots, haha... I think overtime as you get more and more denim you really won't give a crap, and whatever happens happens
ok yea then that makes sense, and no not my first pair. I guess I just have obsessive compulsive tendencies with things like clothes sometimes. I hate washing clothes because i cant see what the washer is doing to them the whole time, I imagine them being like stretched and ripped and its horrible. I also will buy sweaters and such and NEVER wear them because im horrified i will stretch it putting it on or something or rubbing against something dirty outside. Oh i also never wash towels with clothes because i feel like the dirt and **** from the towels will like diffuse into my clothes and turn them into towels and then on the spin cycle it will all be like smashed into the fibers.

AlexDeLarge

Reaction score
Maybe this thread should turn into "what OCD tendencies do you have with your clothes"

Anyone feel free to share/debunk other peoples theories.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads