• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Singapore Tailors - is it worth it?

Buffalonian

Reaction score
I am going to be in Singapore for five days and was curious about getting a suit made.

First of all, is it worth it? Or does it make more sense just to take that same amount of money and look for a sale and good tailoring with an OTR suit?

Second of all, if it is worth it, how do I go about not getting ripped off? Any suggestions for trusted tailors?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tailor Dan

Reaction score
It is always a risk no matter what you do. Be it here in the west or there in the east. It is just a lot cheaper and more likely to come away with a worse product on average but tailor there. This is because anybody can set up a shop within a week and themselves bespoke tailors. Same here but here it is fair more expensive to set up and run so you have to be reasonable to survive. There you can be terrible as most custom is passing trade via tourists or work hoppers, etc...

I would say that you ask around when in Singapore at the concierge desk, unless you are staying somewhere twitch out one of course. But if you are they will be able to recommend the better places. If hey recommend bad places then guests may not return to use the same hotel again. No guarantee but would be what I do.

Spend decent money. Spending £150 ($240) on a suit is just pointless. Anybody expecting to get handmade or even decent made is dreaming. Spend at least £300 ($480) to get one of decent hand work. You may wish to buy three or four and can do but consistency can be an issue in some far east establishments. So the better reputation the better a chance of good fit.

Best of luck and let us know what happens.

http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A fellow SF member, gshen, had several coats/suits made by a tailor in Singapore. I'd PM him or do a search but he could probably give you some good advice.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Iris tailor?

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, Iris tailor located in Lucky Plaza would be your best bet.The best value for money and their work is consistent.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know about Singapore, but if you can make it to Hong Kong there are plenty of good tailors to choose from.

Some exaggeration. There are three tailors in HK that stand above the rest and a very few quite decent ones. There are however MANY dreadful tailors. Use search and you will learn a lot.

ambivalence

Reaction score
i see.. thanks! :) will go down soon to make myself a sportscoat..

maxee

Reaction score
You may visit Raffles place to get a tailor with decent workmanship. But, do except a higher charges if you visit that area. PM me to learn more about tailors in Singapore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads