Singapore for shopping

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GuidoWongolini, Jul 17, 2008.

1. beasty

beasty Senior member

I used to live in singapore
    who are the top tailors?

Dont have the papers with me but recall Sze Sze Tailor, some busy old guy with an unnamed shop in St Georges and Chan Tailors, nominated by the most august of magazine, the Tatler to be some top dog tailor, some local designer with a flair for MTM or bespoke. Notable absentees like CYC, Kingsmen, Raffles(?). So take it with a pinch of salt but if its in the papers, it must be true right?

2. trend7

trend7 Member

Dont have the papers with me but recall Sze Sze Tailor, some busy old guy with an unnamed shop in St Georges and Chan Tailors, nominated by the most august of magazine, the Tatler to be some top dog tailor, some local designer with a flair for MTM or bespoke. Notable absentees like CYC, Kingsmen, Raffles(?). So take it with a pinch of salt but if its in the papers, it must be true right?

The article can be found in here: link

The Prestigious Men's Tailor House which I patronize most is also not in the list. In fact I think his cuts and fabrics are very good.

3. T900

T900 Senior member

4. beasty

beasty Senior member

The article can be found in here: link

The Prestigious Men's Tailor House which I patronize most is also not in the list. In fact I think his cuts and fabrics are very good.

I think styleforum can come up with their own list to match the papers. No matter what one thinks of CYC, think they should be on some list.

5. nightgyr

nightgyr Well-Known Member

article here

http://www.asiaone.com/Just%2BWoman/...718-77488.html

I wouldn't say that list is entirely accurate. It's basically just to highlight more of the less 'publicized' tailors in Singapore.

The more popular brand names of tailors include 'CYC' and 'Oxford' tailors in Singapore. Some quick research will get you their address. Mind you, they aren't cheap (USD70-150 for shirts) but their quality and make are good.

I personally use this tailor, 'Dreamland' at Peninsular Shopping Centre. She has a very wide range of fabric, good quality shirts and reasonable prices.

just my 2 cents.

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

We should all be so lucky to have our clothing work as well as GA works for you. My vote is stick with GA, it all looks fantastic on you.

7. BipgoBumpo

BipgoBumpo Well-Known Member

I remember the first time I was in Singapore, walking through Chinatown and Little India like any other tourist and being hassled by hawkers making B.S. offers of "quality suits in 24 hours." I knew better, of course. Kind of like when I was walking through Kowloon for the first time, and was being hassled with the exact same offer...

Anyway, I'll be passing through Singapore next week and will be there for a couple of days. Does anyone know of any places there that sell ascots/cravats and/or English-style Extract of Limes eau de toilette? Thanks.

8. Ken6800

Ken6800 Member

Hi all,

Sorry to ressurect this thread but I have just moved to Singapore and am looking to get a suit done. Actually, I am looking for something more English/Huntsman cut, nothing Italian or drape.

Unfortunately I have a strong suspicion that most tailors in the region are working off a standard Zegna MTM pattern... I have had a suit made by, allegedly, the best tailor in Malaysia with mixed results.

I would like to go to Hong Kong and visit WW Chan who quite clearly is capable of producing the cut based on the evidence on this forum but I want to give the local tailors a chance - plus the cost of a hotel and flight in addition to the suit seems excessive.

At the moment, I am veering towards Dunhill MTM, but I am concerned about the expense and the fact that only one fitting will be done.

Apart from that, the only other local tailors that have grabbed my attention are Raffles Tailor (English trained apparently) and Joes Tailoring.

Would definitely appreciate some advice from those familiar with Singapore on how I could get the best suit possible for my first visit!

9. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Don't waste your time.. I have been in Singapore for the best part of the last month & found nothing of worth.. Even locals I asked said go to HK or SHG.

10. why18

why18 Senior member

Check out Rossi at Millenia Walk.

11. Tano

Tano Senior member

My parents are heading to Singapore this week and need a suit made for my wedding. Are Prestigious Men's Tailor House and Joe's Tailors still the best place to get a half decent suit made in 5 days?

edit: I found it in another thread. It seems Iris tailor and Oxford Tailor are the tailors of choice.

12. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

My parents are heading to Singapore this week and need a suit made for my wedding. Are Prestigious Men's Tailor House and Joe's Tailors still the best place to get a half decent suit made in 5 days?

edit: I found it in another thread. It seems Iris tailor and Oxford Tailor are the tailors of choice.

I take it you mean a suit for your father, who needs it for your wedding.

Is this correct?

Otherwise you would have to be present to get measured up.

Five days is awful rushed for a decent suit. Of course, acceptability depends on what you define as 'decent'.

Even Iris, a good tailor from all accounts, might be hard-pressed to get things done that quickly.

13. Tano

Tano Senior member

Yes, he wants a suit made for himself for my wedding. I know some places offer an express tourist option for a little extra $$$. I was not sure if Iris offered this.

14. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

so is singapore still a sartorial wasteland?

15. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Yes, he wants a suit made for himself for my wedding. I know some places offer an express tourist option for a little extra $$$. I was not sure if Iris offered this.

FWIW, I understand that the suit produced in five days will almost certainly be fused. Also, there might not be enough time left for the inevitable final adjustments.

That said, if it's just a wedding suit, and something he'll wear and forget, then it prolly doesn't matter too much. [​IMG]