1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Sincerely - how does anyone condone metal heel taps?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by omjk, May 10, 2009.

1. omjk

omjk Senior member

I recently bought a pair of pre-owned C&Js with metal heel taps fitted. I'm grateful that the seller has used them as the benefits in respect of longevity they give your shoes are easy to see.

Yet after one wear I have been moved to ask the title question of this thread: how does anyone condone metal heel taps?

The clicking is at best the noise of an important sounding shoe, and at worst noise pollution. Every step I walked I found I drew more attention than normal. I could even hear the shoes through my loud Sennheisers. If someone was walking next to me making the same racket with their shoes I would be inclined to chuck them into the nearest canal.

I could have withstood the noise and attention but the last straw was that I nearly stacked it in a tube station. Superficial things like noise is one thing but to also be impractical on top of that leaves me astounded that anyone could use metal heel taps in built up areas without falling over every now and again.

Now, I was walking around London, and using the Underground. Do users who like metal taps do much walking? Do you use public transport? Do you feel comfortable running for trains?

They actually slowed my walking pace after my near-slip and I felt like I was getting used to wearing stilettos. I like walking fast if I need to, and like being able to run if I need to. These metal taps hinder me from doing both.

Further, I volunteer in a place where the noise of them echos around the building. Are metal taps tolerated in your non-carpeted offices? There are many individuals there who have survived torture by oppressive regimes and for a second I was worried the authoritarian click of the heel might send some of these people into relapse.

How do you live with metal taps?

2. robin

robin Senior member

Did you buy them from a tap dancer?

3. Eustace

Eustace Senior member

There is a HUGE difference between metal toe taps and metal heel taps. I use the former, and will never make the mistake again with the latter, for the exact reasons you mentioned. Noisy accidents waiting to happen.

4. instep

instep Senior member

^ +1

Metal heel taps are terrible.

5. countcount

countcount Senior member

I just bought a pair of vintage J&M with a v-cleat and am having the same experinces.

What is the solution? Replace the heel entirely? or just have it covered with a Vibram sole?

6. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

I actually have been confused with the sudden popularity of both metal heel and toe taps recently....seems like every special order request I get these days includes the question of if we can add these things. I think the disappearance of shoe repair shops in general, and the huge increase in price of good-to-better shoes as a whole, has triggered this idea. Really, just have heel lifts replaced on a regular basis, tips can be done before a full sole job is needed....and have full soles and heels done when needed. Certainly the big city folks here have access to professional repair shops.....and I can see how some folks who are new to better shoes would naturally want to make everything last as long as possible, but it is better to have the heels/soles/tips replaced at the proper time anyway. My opinion.....

7. Eagle

Eagle Senior member

While metal heel/toe taps can be noisy and perhaps contribute to the occasional slip and fall ([​IMG]), the regular use of those nylon/rubber heel/toe cleats will eliminate the more aggravating aspect of the metal variety and still, extend the life of soles and heels...indefinitely! Although, they may still hear you approaching! [​IMG]

8. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

It costs me $7 to put on plastic taps. For that price I avoid the annoying taping sound and extend the life of my shoes. When the wear out it's just $7 dollars again. In my opinion well worth it.

9. Eustace

Eustace Senior member

I actually have been confused with the sudden popularity of both metal heel and toe taps recently....seems like every special order request I get these days includes the question of if we can add these things. I think the disappearance of shoe repair shops in general, and the huge increase in price of good-to-better shoes as a whole, has triggered this idea. Really, just have heel lifts replaced on a regular basis, tips can be done before a full sole job is needed....and have full soles and heels done when needed. Certainly the big city folks here have access to professional repair shops.....and I can see how some folks who are new to better shoes would naturally want to make everything last as long as possible, but it is better to have the heels/soles/tips replaced at the proper time anyway. My opinion.....
    Could you explain how the tips are replaced by a cobbler prior to the full sole replacement? I might try this method instead of taps.

10. jetfight

jetfight Active Member

I hate shoes with metal heel taps, that's probably why there are so many for sale on ebay

11. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I recently bought a pair of pre-owned C&Js with metal heel taps fitted. I'm grateful that the seller has used them as the benefits in respect of longevity they give your shoes are easy to see.

There is your answer.

12. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

I have shoes with metal taps (along with shoes with metal toe plates) and have not experienced the phenomenon you describe.[​IMG]

13. omjk

omjk Senior member

Thans for that insight RIDER. As I said, I could have lived with the streetwide click of me approaching - even though it's something altogether more befitting of John Wayne or Clint Eastwood - but when I had my skid, which looks silly enough in itself, I thought 'to hell with prolonging my heel life'!

I am reassured that many have had similar experiences, and Kuro, find it odd that you've never been in danger of slipping on smooth surfaces with your metal taps.

I think that plastic taps are a decent option but as this is a matter of personal preference I shall have my C&Js resoled and stick with an all leather sole, hoping salary hikes down the years will ease the financial burden of the bi-annual resole.

14. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

15. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Why not spurs?

- B

I use crampons on all my shoes so the sole doesn't get damaged . . . at all.