Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Since when does True Religion make raw Denim?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by weirdnjfan1, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Why would I want to pay for exclusivity? If I bought some Nudies with blank back pockets and stitched "I CAN AFFORD THESE LOOK AT ME" into them and sold them for $500 each at Barneys, would you be stupid enought to buy them? That's exclusivity. It's as grotesque as it is laughable.

2. The Grapist

The Grapist Senior member

Why would I want to pay for exclusivity? If I bought some Nudies with blank back pockets and stitched "I CAN AFFORD THESE LOOK AT ME" into them and sold them for $500 each at Barneys, would you be stupid enought to buy them? That's exclusivity. It's as grotesque as it is laughable.
    Notice how APC NS and Nudie SSDS have similar fits, similar denim, and yet one is twice the price of the other? Guess which one I have. [​IMG]

3. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

SSDS don't taper, and Nudies bought outside the US don't incur the ridiculous US distributor surcharge.

4. The Grapist

SSDS don't taper, and Nudies bought outside the US don't incur the ridiculous US distributor surcharge.

Then maybe the Rescues would be a similar fit? Either way, my point still stands.

5. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Actually the fit and even the design are pretty different. Plus the Rescues simply won't work for people with waists smaller than 31.

6. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

Actually the fit and even the design are pretty different. Plus the Rescues simply won't work for people with waists smaller than 31.
    Agreed. Grapist, your point might be better made with something like the APC NS or Julian Red Cali vs. Dior or something, I think. Not to get nitpicky, but I think you have a point, and it's getting lost because most of us think of the SSDS and the New Standards as totally different jeans.

7. The Grapist

Agreed. Grapist, your point might be better made with something like the APC NS or Julian Red Cali vs. Dior or something, I think. Not to get nitpicky, but I think you have a point, and it's getting lost because most of us think of the SSDS and the New Standards as totally different jeans.

Yeah, the point would be better made with APC Cure vs Dior, but Nudie was the first thing that came to mind. :-/

I know that they're different fits, but I was trying to say "one straight leg japanese selvedge denim vs another".

8. TrojanGarb

TrojanGarb Senior member

Actually, everyone and there mom is making raw or "dark rinse" or "Rinse" skinny jeans (True Religion raw jean is also skinny). Funny that the same people who ranked on tapered jeans just a few years ago are now so quick to deride bootcut jeans now [​IMG]

Damnit, I just got into bootcuts too [​IMG]. Thats ok, straightlegs have been my mainstay, so have darkwashes. Guess im ahead of the curve on that one [​IMG].

I just hate the jeans labeled "raw" but are actually washed...

9. benchan

benchan Senior member

Loose(not baggy) fitting jeans will be the next hot item, and the cycle continues.

Maybe it is just me, but I like dark rinse jeans more than dry/raw and dare I say, I speak for the mass(non denimheads).

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Loose(not baggy) fitting jeans will be the next hot item, and the cycle continues.

Maybe it is just me, but I like dark rinse jeans more than dry/raw and dare I say, I speak for the mass(non denimheads).

Good. I've worn most of my jeans slightly loose and slightly antifit for years now. I'll get to be cool most of the time instead of just a bit of the time [​IMG] Axtually, I think that looser and bootcut jeans look better on most people than tight jeans. Tight jeans are not flattering on most body types. If your waist is larger than your inseam, tight jeans are probably not for you.

As for raw vs. rinse, I agree. Retailers in even markets like NYC and LA, not just in smaller or less bleeding edge markets like SF and Boston, have told me that except to hardcore fashionistas, rinsed denim is just much easier to sell than raw. It's hard to convince someone to buy something that feels like cardboard unless that person is either a denimhead or a dyed in the wool fashion junkie.

11. tweedlesinpink

tweedlesinpink Senior member

Tight jeans are not flattering on most body types. If your waist is larger than your inseam, tight jeans are probably not for you.

Every time LA Guy says that (and he's said it more than once) i feel happy. [​IMG]

12. turbozed

turbozed Senior member

[​IMG] http://www.barneys.com/b/browse/prod...egoryId=281244 Thought I'd revive this thread with a pic and link of the raw TR jeans. Doesn't look all that bad. Not too gawdy or garish looking. As mentioned above, the fact that it's rather understated probably means it won't sell very well to the crowd that normally buys True Religion. Also the cardboard feeling of it (when shopping with my friends, they look for the softest denim as a sign of quality) and long intervals between washing probably are a turnoff to most people. But maybe raw will catch on among the mainstream premium jean market (hopefully it doesn't).

13. weirdnjfan1

weirdnjfan1 Senior member

For the most part, yeah it won't sell well among all the rich kids who like to buy over priced gaudy looking jeans.

[​IMG]

The Bobbys looks better than the Joeys by a long shot. But still, I think in a few years, we will see mainstream raw denim.

14. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I must take exception. Those TRs are still gaudy looking.

15. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

I agree. It just takes time, but all fashion trends filter down. Dry denim will show up at Express and the Gap in time. I'd expect more one rinse and resin washes than true dry denim, though.

Also, I hate to say it, but if it weren't for the hideous back pockets, those jeans would look kind of ok to me. Nothing special and they are overly flared, but I don't actually mind the twisted seam thing, for once.