• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simpson Sin Tailor

shawndo

Reaction score
http://www.simpsonsintailor.com.hk/

Has anyone heard of these guys? A friend of a friend who "knows about clothes" was recommending them to everyone. He is coming to NYC soon with swatches and measuring tape.

The VP of this place, who will be here, had something to do with "Princeton Tailors" at some point. If that means anything to anyone?

Geoff9

Reaction score
Yes, I bought a suit from them when I was in Hong Kong last February. It seemed a bit on the expensive side, $400 for worsted wool, lined pants etc (this seems like the basics to me), but the suit is great, better than what I have been getting in Thailand. I saved $50-$80 bringing it back myself. The service was first rate.

But maybe this is a great deal and somebody out there will tell me. Since they have my measurements on file I am thinking of getting another one.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoff9
Yes, I bought a suit from them when I was in Hong Kong last February. It seemed a bit on the expensive side, $400 for worsted wool, lined pants etc (this seems like the basics to me), but the suit is great, better than what I have been getting in Thailand. I saved $50-$80 bringing it back myself. The service was first rate.

But maybe this is a great deal and somebody out there will tell me. Since they have my measurements on file I am thinking of getting another one.

I haven't been to Hong Kong for about 5 years.

If $400 seems expensive to you(for a suit as described above), how much are inexpensive tailored suits in HK these days?

registrar1900

Reaction score
Being relatively new to tailored clothing...I can't give a good evaluation. Also my budget is not in the range of Chan or AMan but having partaken of the wares from Simpson I am quite happy. At the least it beats most of the $400 schlock I have bought in Canadian and U.S. o.t.r.

Their service is very cordial and attentive. I am very happy with their product but I can't say that they have a real house style. I will get some pics of one of the suits I have from them (most of my kit is not with me right now)...and perhaps some feedback from the more sartorial gifted members of this forum.

I've gotten suits, slacks (wool and cotton), shirts, and casual jackets (copy) and have been very happy with them. Can't really speak to the suiting fabric...other than one of my selection criteria was the lightest wool!

I learned one of the first lessons of tailored clothing...speak up at the fittings or it won't be exactly what you want. Much happier with my second visit than my first.

btw...sorry for reviving an old thread but didn't want to start a new one right away.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anthony Bordain used them on his new show "Layover." Suit looked nice but didn't get a price.

Anyone ever use them?

I know old thread revival.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i saw that ep also...

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$450 USD for a suit depending on fabrics. They will be in Los Angeles in March 24-25, San Diego April 28-29 and San Francisco April 30 and May 1.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got back from visiting Simpson Sin here in San Francisco. Tony Wong is there representative and nice as can be.

I went there orginally looking for trousers which I ordered 2 from based on on suit pants from WW Chan. While he was taking measurements, I flipped through his swatches and also ordered a suit for $625 USD-fully canvassed. Nice price and everything will be ready in 4-6 weeks.

DMM72

Reaction score
I've been living in HK for about 8 years and tried a number of tailors. Due to the heat I end up dry cleaning my "work" suits frequently. Hence, I'm always on the lookout for reasonably priced tailors who offers full-canvas construction. I'm wondering whether someone has any thoughts on the quality of Simpson Sin's work?

netcbc

Reaction score
I just got back from visiting Simpson Sin here in San Francisco. Tony Wong is there representative and nice as can be.

I went there orginally looking for trousers which I ordered 2 from based on on suit pants from WW Chan. While he was taking measurements, I flipped through his swatches and also ordered a suit for $625 USD-fully canvassed. Nice price and everything will be ready in 4-6 weeks.
Hmm darn I feel a little gipped then, I got a fused suit for $655, super 130. What fabric was yours?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmm darn I feel a little gipped then, I got a fused suit for $655, super 130. What fabric was yours?

It was a super 130 as well. I had to ask for canvassed suit as fused is their default.

netcbc

Reaction score
It was a super 130 as well. I had to ask for canvassed suit as fused is their default.

Thanks for the reply, did you get anything else other than the canvassed suit?

Mine is getting shipped to Toronto so that might be the reason for the extra cost, but great price for a canvas for sure.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply, did you get anything else other than the canvassed suit? 

Mine is getting shipped to Toronto so that might be the reason for the extra cost, but great price for a canvas for sure.

I got 2 pairs of pants for daily wear. the fabrics were not the best as he only let me select from a 5 fabrics.

I think the prices may have gone up on the suits because the prices include shipping

netcbc

Reaction score
I got 2 pairs of pants for daily wear. the fabrics were not the best as he only let me select from a 5 fabrics.

I think the prices may have gone up on the suits because the prices include shipping

Oh I'm just realizing this was from a year ago lol.

How is your suit holding up, would you say it's your best out of your collection?

How much were the pants if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads