• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simple (<5min) daily shoe care

adam7788

Reaction score
I appreciate wealth of knowledge you guys have (and share) about shoe care - great reading and learning. However, I am looking for simple shoe care routine that would take 3-5 minutes per day - not more. At work I pull late hours and finish at 2-3am (almost) ever day. The last thing I want to do at that time is to engage in 15-30min shoe care routine. I bought decent shoes (AE) and I want to take care of them, but don't have time or willingness to spend on that longer than few minutes.

So could you please be so kind as to advise what I should do at the end of the day? (I have 3 pairs of shoes to rotate - 2 in black, 1 in brown; I plan to wear them in the office only and commute to work in something else; I also bought shoe trees, shoe polish and shoe conditioner).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mate use conditioner/polish once a month. And just wipe off dust everyday with an old towel. Use shoe tree. If shoes get wet air dry it and use conditioner/polish.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you're rotating them you don't even need to wipe the dust off. Just give them a wipe when you put them on.

adam7788

Reaction score
Thanks - that brings my routine to 20 seconds :) So I should not apply cream and/or polish after every use?

UberDyologzz

Reaction score
For the work week:

Wipe all the dust off with a clean, lint-free cloth.

Do a cursory check to see if there are scuff marks, stains, etc. that need to be taken care of immediately.

If all is well, then put your trees in and store.

Otherwise, use a bit of wax, water, and a lot of elbow grease for touch ups.

You can condition and polish on weekends and days off, no worries.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Since you're rotating them you don't even need to wipe the dust off. Just give them a wipe when you put them on.

As inconsequential as it may seem, leaving dust on your shoes will tend to pull oils and conditioners out of the leather. And since dust accumulates in the creases, the leather in the creases becomes dry faster than the surrounding leather....a factor in cracking.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My feeling was more if he doesn't stick them in shoe bags they'll get dusty anyways. So he'll need to wipe them off before wear.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My feeling was more if he doesn't stick them in shoe bags they'll get dusty anyways. So he'll need to wipe them off before wear.

Never a bad idea. But really, if there's that much dust settling on a pair of shoes that are in a weekly rotation, the OP either needs to get a vacuum cleaner or a new cave.

The Dyson Animal is on sale... :)

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should see my cave this time of year . With all the windows open there is a good breezing blowing in enough sand to build a beach :embar:

bjornb17

Reaction score
I currently have 2 pairs of shoes in rotation. I just put them in shoe trees after i take them off. Once a week I'll dust the uppers and welting off with a polishing brush (but with no polish). Once a month, or if they start to look a little scuffy (whichever comes sooner), i'll apply a little conditioner, light polish, and edge dressing. You don't want to polish them too often as the polish will build up. The weekly brushing without polish will redistribute the residual polish and help prevent buildup.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one of these. I must have purchased it back in the mid 80's and it still works like a charm. I give my shoes a quick buff before heading out and can go for many days without a shine. The sheepskin buffer gives a nice finish to my shoes.

I always polish my shoes and buff them well with brushes before using the sheepskin. That way color and wax or polish don't accumulate on the sheepskin.

http://www.electricshoeshinestore.com/

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only use wax occasionally. I use a colored cream on a regular basis to preserve the color and to give a nice, elegant semi gloss finish. I used to use neutral but found it began to leave a cloudy film on some colors of shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads