Simone Abbarchi shirts - Florence

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bryce330, Feb 15, 2007.

1. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

Anyone have any personal experience with this shirtmaker? I have seen him listed in Flusser and several other places but would like more information.

I believe his shirts are made to measure, not bespoke, and that his shop is also called "Bottega delle Antiche Terme."

2. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

Anyone?

3. jekv12

jekv12 Senior member

Yes, I have. In Florence two years ago, I stopped in sensa appointment and ordered
    one shirt as a trial. You are correct, more MTM - try on a smock, etc. but a good degree
    of choice as to details that I was not able to get with Individualized Shirts here. Edge
    stitching, smooth front, choice of rear pleats, etc etc and many collar choices.

Simone comes to NY a couple times a year, and I ordered three more, making a few
    adjustments to style and fit. I tweaked the collar spread a bit, and the point length...I don't think
    these changes went all the way to another collar type, yet the adjustments were made. The only downside to this is I swear he has a lot more
    fabrics in Florence than he brings to NY.

The shirts are rather slim fitting (I asked for them that way) but on the next order will
    ask for a bit more room.

I am not an expert on construction but the shirts seem to be well made - so far.

He also makes ties and suits, neither of which I've tried.

4. jekv12

jekv12 Senior member

Full disclosure: Koji suggested a shirtmaker on this street in Florence a couple years ago,
    though couldn't quite place the name. I asked locally, a shopkeeper mentioned Simone
    at this address...things clicked. So thanks, Koji.

Re: MTM vs bespoke - we're making small adjustments now, in things like the fullness of
    the sleeve, which I haven't been able to do with other MTM programs, so based on my
    experience this is a bit more than MTM.

BTW, it seems Simone has brought a few new books with him this trip to NY; I just returned from
    seeing him and ordering three more.

5. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

Thanks for the info, jekv12.

I actually ordered a couple of shirts from Leonardo Bugelli when I was in Florence a few weeks ago, since I was able to find more information on him than Abbarchi and the reviews were unanimously positive.

I am expecting my first shirt from Leonardo any day now and I will post a full review after I have had a chance to try it on.

6. timeless

timeless Senior member

Yes, I have. In Florence two years ago, I stopped in sensa appointment and ordered
    one shirt as a trial. You are correct, more MTM - try on a smock, etc. but a good degree
    of choice as to details that I was not able to get with Individualized Shirts here. Edge
    stitching, smooth front, choice of rear pleats, etc etc and many collar choices.

Simone comes to NY a couple times a year, and I ordered three more, making a few
    adjustments to style and fit. I tweaked the collar spread a bit, and the point length...I don't think
    these changes went all the way to another collar type, yet the adjustments were made. The only downside to this is I swear he has a lot more
    fabrics in Florence than he brings to NY.

The shirts are rather slim fitting (I asked for them that way) but on the next order will
    ask for a bit more room.

I am not an expert on construction but the shirts seem to be well made - so far.

He also makes ties and suits, neither of which I've tried.

Just so happens that Simone is in NYC this week through Sun. at the Hotel Michelangelo. I've found his shirts to be a good value and he has a number of high end fabrics. I do agree however that the shirts are slim fitting and I would specify a bit of extra room for comfort.

7. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Full disclosure: Koji suggested a shirtmaker on this street in Florence a couple years ago,
    though couldn't quite place the name. I asked locally, a shopkeeper mentioned Simone
    at this address...things clicked. So thanks, Koji.

Re: MTM vs bespoke - we're making small adjustments now, in things like the fullness of
    the sleeve, which I haven't been able to do with other MTM programs, so based on my
    experience this is a bit more than MTM.

BTW, it seems Simone has brought a few new books with him this trip to NY; I just returned from
    seeing him and ordering three more.

Glad it worked out!

koji

8. Panzeraxe II

Panzeraxe II Senior member

How much does Simone charge for shirts made with basic fabric (2x2 100-120s)?

Thanks - Panzer

9. rolls

rolls Well-Known Member

I am expecting my first shirt from Leonardo any day now and I will post a full review after I have had a chance to try it on.

bryce330 -

Have you received the Bugelli shirt? I'm traveling to Florence this summer, and may try to visit Mr. Bugelli. I'm curious to hear more of your experience with him.

Thank you.

10. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

bryce330 -

Have you received the Bugelli shirt? I'm traveling to Florence this summer, and may try to visit Mr. Bugelli. I'm curious to hear more of your experience with him.

Thank you.

Yes, I received the first shirt a few weeks ago and the collar was a little off, so I sent him an e-mail with pictures of how I wanted the collar - I received the other three shirts about a week ago and they are just about perfect. I have been meaning to post a full report with pics and I will try to do it by the end of this week. I would definitely recommend a visit while you are in Florence.

11. kbuzz

kbuzz Senior member

anyone know what months he comes to NYC?

12. rolls

rolls Well-Known Member

bryce - thanks for the update, can't wait to see the full report. My stop in Florence still isn't set in stone yet, but I'm pushing for it - crossing my fingers.

13. dirkwilke74

dirkwilke74 New Member

Simone is my shirtmaker for the last 10 years
    I think he is brilliant. The fabrics he uses are second to none (Zegna mostly)
    The best part is that his drive for internet sales is non-existent which gives him a kind of laggard charm I appreciate.
    Simone is like a boutique wine chateau. I once asked him to make a suit, but there he lacks the experience of the Napoli guys. In shirts however he is the king of Florence.

14. guyapprentice

guyapprentice Senior member

I met with Simone this morning in NYC to get fitted for shirts, amazing service!

15. Cesare1970

Cesare1970 Active Member

Ordered a shirt 2 weeks ago when I was in Florence. The shirt will be sent over to me by mid September due vacation. I have ordered Thomas Mason fabric, choice was more than abundant. Looking forward receiving the shirt, upon which will post some pics.