• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simon Baker Hand Sewn Wrap Around Briefcase (photo review)

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent. Well done.

BuddaLun

Reaction score
Beautiful.

Craig,

Do you have any regrets with the bag in regard to dimensions, extra pockets, overal setup, etc?

I ask b/c I'm sure this was a well thought out decision, and I have been trying to construct the "ultimate" briefcase for some time now and would appreciate your input.

craig75

Reaction score
Dear BuddaLun,

I have been using this case for about three weeks now and so far I am very happy with it. It is a beautiful case!

I walk quite a bit to work, and the case is quite heavy (and I am not very strong), so perhaps one change I would have made in retrospect is to have the inner partition made from something other than heavy bridal leather (although it does look very nice). On the inside I have no pockets, one pen loop, and one D-ring. In retrospect, I do not need the D-ring. The D-ring was meant to attach a pouch via a lanyard, but I do not need to attach the pouch and, after having used it, I think it would be inconvenient to do so. So far, those are the only changes. I hope this helps!

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got one on order. Looks like he's one case closer to working on mine.

BuddaLun

Reaction score
Dear BuddaLun,

I have been using this case for about three weeks now and so far I am very happy with it. It is a beautiful case!

I walk quite a bit to work, and the case is quite heavy (and I am not very strong), so perhaps one change I would have made in retrospect is to have the inner partition made from something other than heavy bridal leather (although it does look very nice). On the inside I have no pockets, one pen loop, and one D-ring. In retrospect, I do not need the D-ring. The D-ring was meant to attach a pouch via a lanyard, but I do not need to attach the pouch and, after having used it, I think it would be inconvenient to do so. So far, those are the only changes. I hope this helps!
Thank you for the insight. The D-Ring/lanyard issue is also something I have been wrestling with.

casemaker

Reaction score
Hi BuddaLun,

I think that the D-rings are being used by those clients that fly, and especially those that travel internationally. One use is to attach key rings to, knowing that they will not get lost/stolen, and the other as a 'valuables' pouch, for watches, jewelry, passports or important documents etc.Either with a detachable leather lanyard that I make, a detachable chain, or even a cord, they can sit at the bottom of a case pocket, secure until needed, and then easily retrieved.

and a larger flapped pouch,

And in terms of pockets within the case, usually on a partition, I have made a number of variations, depending on the clients needs,

This arrangement taken from my zipped underarm folio, and transferred onto the front partition of a Sedgwicks light havana briefcase, the largest pocket, although 'flat' will take an ipad or surface tablet.

and these bespoke pockets to hold a specific size of calculator,

There are other alternatives, such as a zipped underarm folio, sized to fit into the case. I work with the client to achieve their needs.

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Hi Kai, on your case soon. best regards, simon

Simon Baker ( Casemakers )

BuddaLun

Reaction score
Thank you Simon.

Perhaps the underarm folio which could fit into the briefcase would work well for me. I will be in touch soon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads