• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Similar to RW Iron Ranger or GT but slimmer

voiceof

Reaction score
I am really digging the look of both the Red Wing Iron Ranger and the Gentleman Travelers, but both seemed a bit too thick for me. Are there any boots that have a similar look to there but are a bit slimmer? Maybe more like the Doc Martens James but with a sole more like the GT.

All help is appreciated.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you could look into aldens or the paul smith ricards. I've owned both the GT's and the katahdins and the katahdins are slightly slimmer, but not by much.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden makes a very similar pair. My friend who is a member here picked them up yesterday. Very nice boots.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only boots I can think of are alden AF60s but they are more than double the price of RWs and more of a dress boot.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ones I saw yesterday may not be a current style but they were a brown captoe with speedhooks. The leather was kind of oily, but felt more like suede. They were very similar looking to the Katahdin's but much nicer.

Price was about $425.00 or so. I just called my friend but he doesn't have access to the box right now or I'd post the style number.

voiceof

Reaction score
I would love to own a pair of aldens; but that won't be happening anytime soon. In addition to looking for a similar style finding a pair cheaper would be a huge bonus, under two hundred would be great. If you know of a good boot under $200.00 let me know.

Thanks again for the help.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And what is the problem with the LL Bean Katahdins?

voiceof

Reaction score
I have no problem with the L.L. beans, they are definately in consideration. I would prefer a darker brown/cherry and maybe more of a finish like the GT's (not sure on that one). Mainly I'm just looking for a variety of choices.

I mainly just over analyze and want to have as many choices as possible.

confab

Reaction score
The Frye Arkansas is a plain lace-up ankle boot with a slimmer profile than the GT, available in a dark reddish chestnut. You can probably pick them up for under $150 on sale at the moment. However, the leather has a scotch grain finish.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voiceof
I have no problem with the L.L. beans, they are definately in consideration. I would prefer a darker brown/cherry and maybe more of a finish like the GT's (not sure on that one). Mainly I'm just looking for a variety of choices. I mainly just over analyze and want to have as many choices as possible.
From what I've seen, the LL Beans look a lot nicer than the stock picture. Chiral had some pics at some point.

amnesiac

Reaction score
chiral and confab's llbean engineer boots

i've seriously considered these for the last 3 months. can't decide whether I want them for christmas or not hehe. I don't know about confab, but chiral got his like that wearing them to hell (got them resoled I believe) and sno seal, which darkens the leather somewhat. you could ask him how much, but I have experience with sno seal darkening any leather you apply it to, in addition to making it waterproof within reason. I don't know that they're slimmer though...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 235 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 116 15.7%
  • 31 - 40