• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Similar boots but better quality? (link)

cmrocks

Reaction score
I like these boots but I'm a little worried about the quality of boots by a company like JCrew.

http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product...atId=cat260101

Does anyone know where I can find something similar but better quality? I particularly like how these boots have a low heel and the casual nature of them.

I want something I can wear with jeans/sweaters as well as with slacks/oxfords.

Also, I do plan on looking at these boots in person and if the quality seems okay, I might pick up a pair since they are fairly cheap. In your opinion, which color is more versatile; the dark chestnut or the stone color?

Brandish

Reaction score
I have a pair of those boots but in leather and haven't had any issues with them. I have had them for a couple months, the only potential issue I could see coming up is the sole it wears quickly but with the clarks you have the same thing. They are pretty similar to Clarks Desert Boots and I would imagine the quality is comparable. http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/15110894/c/820.html

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Clarks Desert Boots are know for their comfort. I got some not long ago and they are incredible. If you go to a Clarks store you will find more color varieties.

At $90.00 they aren't worth their weight in gold, but definitely more so than the $128.00 J. Crew Desert Boots.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ahh, BB had a bunch of $430 boots by Sargent on clearance that hit the $170 area on the 25% sales. Land's End had a bunch of Sargents as well (probably the same model) that sold for $75. i have the Land's End version - awesome boots to wear with distressed jeans.

You may be able to get the clarks on ebay for $25-50, and definitely for sub-75, and the j crew version sells for about the same on ebay. i'll defer to other's for opinions - i wasn't impressed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Clarks-Mens-...QQcmdZViewItem

although this appears to be the beeswax version.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah Minkous is right. I bought some of the J. Crew wingtips on ebay and they are almost unbearable to wear. The only thing worth getting from there is Purcells on a deep discount, and perhaps the duck boots or Red Wings at a discount.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Camper's online shop. They have a ton of awesome stuff.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brandish
I have a pair of those boots but in leather and haven't had any issues with them. I have had them for a couple months, the only potential issue I could see coming up is the sole it wears quickly but with the clarks you have the same thing. They are pretty similar to Clarks Desert Boots and I would imagine the quality is comparable. http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/15110894/c/820.html
I was going to suggest these too, I mean how can you not after reading what Bill from Costa Mesa has to say about them on Zappos haha ;-) ... then again, he is from Costa Mesa so don't hold that against him Reviewer: Bill T from Costa Mesa California Overall:5 stars Comfort:5 stars Look:5 stars Shoe Size: Felt a half size larger than marked Shoe Width: Felt narrower than marked Shoe Arch: Moderate arch support Great pair of boots - The day I received my Clark dessert boot will be a day I will never forgot. Imagine pulling these boots on and as soon as you do everyone in the area thinks you look great. Girls coming up to you wanting to meet you because you have these boots on. Married ladies wanting to leave there families because the draw of these boots are so strong. Wear them to work and they will promote you because you look to good to be working behind a desk hiding those boots. Your life will change so buy them.

arossphoto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
The Clarks Desert Boots are know for their comfort. I got some not long ago and they are incredible.

I tried really hard to like the Clarks Desert Boots after reading so much about them, but I did not find them comfortable at all. They were too tight across the top for my foot, didn't provide any ankle support, and the soles are so thin and flat I felt like I was walking barefoot or wearing cheap slippers. I took them home and wore them around the house for a few days, but they still felt terrible and I returned them. They didn't look too bad, but I was never crazy about them, and I can't imagine any woman swooning over a guy with these on.

It's obviously a matter of personal preference, but I was very glad I didn't order them online.

sidenote

Reaction score
Haha - I had a biology teacher in high school that wore these - he said gay elves from Ireland made them. Now I found out they're Clark's? Say it isn't so!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads