Silver tie for my groomsmen?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by web.boards, May 25, 2011.

1. web.boards

web.boards Active Member

My groomsmen, father and father-in-law are going to wear black suits for my wedding. I'm thinking of buying them all a silver tie as a gift and to make sure they are all wearing the same tie. What do you think of this color silver for a black suit?

http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp/...1_?cm_vc=40165

Would this color combo work well?

Thanks.

2. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

3. web.boards

web.boards Active Member

1. I never thought of using a patter for the tie. Is a pattern like this more traditional than a solid color?

2. What is wrong with black suits?

Thanks.

4. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

Why not go with a more traditional wedding tie, such as this Shepherd's check from Kent Wang? [​IMG] https://www.kentwang.com/ties/shepherds-check.html And don't let them wear black suits.
    +1 on everything. A small black and white check would be most traditional, and far more interesting than a silver satin tie. Get everyone something a little different, like shepherds check, houndstooth check, glen check, etc. And why black suits? If getting married is that depressing for you perhaps you should reconsider. Or are you all going to a funeral after the ceremony? Black suits are not for festive occasions. If your wedding is all after sunset, then a black suit isn't as bad. They should all wear a grey suit for during the day or navy suit for the evening. Or if you don't mind them not all wearing the same, have some wear grey and others wear navy.

5. web.boards

web.boards Active Member

So are you suggesting that each of them can wear a slightly different pattern on their ties? I know they can all wear different suits, though I figured they should all have matching ties.

Thanks.

6. JDMills

JDMills Senior member

A Macclesfield tie (i think) is as traditional as you can get. No black suit because they look incredibly severe and should be reserved for funerals, maybe navy suits? And that black and white Shepherd's check is a great tie, I just picked one up or maybe a grey glenplaid tie.

7. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor