• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

    Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silly Question - How do you pronounce Zegna?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,806
Reaction score
82
I don't think you can have a double-z at the beginning of a word, so let's find some examples, if we can, of intervocalic zzs or zs that are pronounced interchangeably.
 

jmix1

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2008
Messages
250
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by grimslade
I don't think you can have a double-z at the beginning of a word, so let's find some examples, if we can, of intervocalic zzs or zs that are pronounced interchangeably.

Why are you worred about words that start with double z. Zegna doesn't.

To answer your question, how about pizza (ts) and mezza (dz)?
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,806
Reaction score
82
Originally Posted by jmix1
Why are you worred about words that start with double z. Zegna doesn't.

To answer your question, how about pizza (ts) and mezza (dz)?


I pronounce mezza and pizza the same way.

I brought up words that (don't) start with zz because I don't think words that begin with z, in general, are a good way to determine how z and zz ought to be pronounced in Italian. medza sounds like dialect to me.

In the end, this debate is academic because there is no single Italian way--even if the Milanese would dispute that. In Ravenna they would pronounce mezza something like medtha.
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,806
Reaction score
82
I've decided to soften my previous doctrinalism on this question after reflecting on the pronunciation of Venezia.

But I still maintain that my rule (which is not mine, but the rule of those who taught me Italian) is by and large correct.
 

jmix1

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2008
Messages
250
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by grimslade
In the end, this debate is academic because there is no single Italian way--even if the Milanese would dispute that. In Ravenna they would pronounce mezza something like medtha.

Agreed. This debate is completely academic, but enjoyable nonetheless.

So to get back to the original question, how would you pronounce Zegna?

Dzain-yuh? With the d barely pronounced.
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,806
Reaction score
82
Originally Posted by jmix1
Agreed. This debate is completely academic, but enjoyable nonetheless. So to get back to the original question, how would you pronounce Zegna? Dzain-yuh? With the d barely pronounced.
Yes.
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,806
Reaction score
82
cheers.gif
 

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

  • Definitely full canvas only

    Votes: 76 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

    Votes: 76 36.5%
  • Really don't care

    Votes: 23 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

    Votes: 35 16.8%
  • Depends on price

    Votes: 35 16.8%

Forum statistics

Threads
506,104
Messages
10,586,379
Members
224,113
Latest member
mccarthyfrazier
Top