• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silly Question - How do you pronounce Zegna?

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll join in....

how exactly do you pronounce chukka and blucher?

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Did she actually say that?

Yes. I was laughing non stop for a good minute.

awxg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
I'll join in....

how exactly do you pronounce chukka and blucher?

chuhk-kuh

bloo-cher. You can also so bloo-ker too I think.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
What were the other ways of pronouncing it?

Zain - Ya (I use this one sometimes)

zeg-nah (store staff)

Cey-nya (from and italian)

jmix1

Reaction score
JeffsWood;1708605 said:

This is closest to being correct. The 'z' sound is more like a 'ts', as in pizza (a 'z' in Italian is almost always pronounced as a 'ts' or 'ds' sound)

This is how I have heard Zegna SAs and other Italians in Italy pronouce the name.

Tsain - yuh

The 't' is barely pronounced.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I speak Italian.

It's all short vowels. er-men-e-jeel-do zenya (like Kenya).

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
hmmm. I have heard several other options from italians and Zegna staff. Still I use Zen-ya.

Example.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I speak Italian.

It's all short vowels. er-men-e-jeel-do zenya (like Kenya).

jeel is not a short vowel. Neither is the "men," since it's really a "main," or the "do," which is a long o. And zegna is more like zayn-ya than Kenya.

[/pedantry]

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
jmix1;1708739 said:
Originally Posted by JeffsWood

This is closest to being correct. The 'z' sound is more like a 'ts', as in pizza (a 'z' in Italian is almost always pronounced as a 'ts' or 'ds' sound)

This is how I have heard Zegna SAs and other Italians in Italy pronouce the name.

Tsain - yuh

The 't' is barely pronounced.

This is wrong too. A double zz in Italian is ts like pizza. A single z is usually soft, except in certain regional variations.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Thought it was a hard G. You're right, it's not.

Do you folks actually try to put the accent or inflection of the source language on the name? I sure as hell don't, sounds affected. For instance, with Jaeger-LeCoultre, I don't use a French accent... I anglicize it completely.

How would you anglicize jaeger lecoultre? jay-ger lay-cool-truh?

jmix1

Reaction score
grimslade;1708842 said:
Originally Posted by jmix1

This is wrong too. A double zz in Italian is ts like pizza. A single z is usually soft, except in certain regional variations.

Look at the pronunciation guide of words that start with z in an Italian dictionary, such as the Oxford Paravia that I use. All of the single zs are pronounced as a ts, ds, or dz.

Of course there are regional variations, but after traveling throughout Italy I've found that almost all Italians that I've heard speak tend to pronounce the z as I described.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
jmix1;1709048 said:
Originally Posted by grimslade

Look at the pronunciation guide of words that start with z in an Italian dictionary, such as the Oxford Paravia that I use. All of the single zs are pronounced as a ts, ds, or dz.

Of course there are regional variations, but after traveling throughout Italy I've found that almost all Italians that I've heard speak tend to pronounce the z as I described.

If you think "bets" and "beds" are pronounced indistinguishably, then that's cool. But the way I was taught Italian--and again, allowing for regional variations--double zz makes it hard like bets. single z is soft like beds.

jmix1

Reaction score
grimslade;1709060 said:
Originally Posted by jmix1

If you think "bets" and "beds" are pronounced indistinguishably, then that's cool. But the way I was taught Italian--and again, allowing for regional variations--double zz makes it hard like bets. single z is soft like beds.

Huh? I never wrote that they are pronounced indistinguishably. There doesn't seem to be a hard rule that all double zzs are pronounced like bets and all single zs like beds. Think about how you would pronounce zeta (dz in my opinion) and zampa (ts in my opinion). Both are single zs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 77 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 80 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads