• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silly Question - How do you pronounce Zegna?

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Zen-ya

hmmm. I have heard several other options from italians and Zegna staff. Still I use Zen-ya.

Albern

Reaction score
On that note, does anyone know how to pronounce Ermenegildo?

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
On that note, does anyone know how to pronounce Ermenegildo?

Yup I pronouce it...zen-ya
laugh.gif

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Yup I pronouce it...zen-ya
laugh.gif

haha... Yeah I never bother to even try to pronounce the founder's name if I happen to ask whether a retailer carries Zegna. So far I've managed to get by okay.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of the other day at a loud bar I asked for a Stella Artois. Bartender doesn't understand so I say it again, "Stella Artois". After a few more times of this she goes up to the bouncer, whispers something into his ear, and points at me. I'm thinking to myself, "What the hell did I do?". Bouncer looks at me, looks at her, and then points to the tap. Apparently everyone must just order a "Stella" because she didn't know about the "Artois" so she went up to the tap, read it, poured my glass and brought it back. She then says that she didn't know it was called "Stella Artois" and thought I was asking for a "Stella on twat".

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billionaireboy
i always say er-men-eh-jil-doe

I think its er-men-e-heel-doe

Originally Posted by BDC2823
and thought I was asking for a "Stella on twat".

Did she actually say that?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billionaireboy
i always say er-men-eh-jil-doe
Thought it was a hard G. You're right, it's not. Do you folks actually try to put the accent or inflection of the source language on the name? I sure as hell don't, sounds affected. For instance, with Jaeger-LeCoultre, I don't use a French accent... I anglicize it completely.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka