• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silk Valentino Blazer advice needed

jbrie645

Reaction score
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...0%2526st%253Ds

I really like this jacket and am considering buying it, but ever since being exposed to the world of styleforum and ebay I've become suspicious of all retail prices. This is down from $3200 to $1400. In the eyes of wily styleforum veterans what is "fair value" for this Valentino blazer? I suppose there is no guarantee of finding this jacket again if it sells out even if it is over priced.

All input appreciated. Thank you.

jbrie645

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
You should be more suspicious of the style. It is useless.

hmm...can you please elaborate on this? it looked like a fancy dinner jacket or something but I don't want to look like a clown wearing it.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Oh, hellz yeah!

Look, for me it's still too expensive for what is essentially a costume piece. And I'd never ever wear it in lieu of a real dinner jacket. But for clubbing or certain parties, yes, I would wear that.

I can't speak to Valentino quality since I've never owned any of their stuff, but if it's good and you've got the money to blow, why not?

The trick is, though, you'd have to have the confidence to pull it off and precisely the right outfit and occasion. It would be easy to screw this up.

/contrarian rant

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
it's the perfect thing for a very specific time and place... ie don't expect to get a lot of use out of it. So if you've got money to blow and have an otherwise pretty well rounded wardrobe then ok... but considering you're asking us for advice I'm going to geuss that's not the case. It's not super cheap or anything, so my advice is pass. There's always another X out there and I doubt you'll remember this a year later wishing you'd got it. I predict it'll end up in your closet worn once and a year from now you'll just cut your losses.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbrie645
hmm...can you please elaborate on this? it looked like a fancy dinner jacket or something but I don't want to look like a clown wearing it.

A dinner jacket should come with matching trousers as there's no other proper way to wear one, though that one might be blue enough to wear with black dinner suit trousers and not look mismatched. That still wouldn't be approved of here. And a dinner jacket should only have one button. The pick stitching looks silly. And the biggest problem: the length is much too short and looks like a woman's jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads