• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silk trench in the rain?

deaddog

Reaction score
I've been shopping for a trenchcoat. I've seen some nice 100% silk ones - but having experienced water stains on ties I wonder how they really hold up in the rain - I'm not overly worried about it being gore-tex dry, I just don't want it ruined in a light sprinkle. Anybody have experience with silk trenchcoats?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Deaddog, where have you found silk ones? I'd be interested in something like that, given the frequent spring and summer showers we get here.

deaddog

Reaction score
So - does this mean that you guys think it can withstand a few showers without showing spots, etc?

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No.

I think this is a luxury item.

For a dress raincoat chose a mac or a trech in a solid and tight cotton gabardine.

EOA

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
No.

I think this is a luxury item.

For a dress raincoat chose a mac or a trech in a solid and tight cotton gabardine.

EOA

Or something in Loro Piana's Storm System line.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I was getting at was a super-light raincoat for summer use--one that is unlined and not having any warming effect. Not exactly a luxury item, just a special-purpose one. They are legion in women's wear, but I've seen very few in men's.

For general raincoat use, heavier cotton ones--like the iconic Burberry--are more appropriate.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with Roger. A lighter raincoat for use in the summer would be great. I too have seen the Brioni trench coats, but I have no idea if silk would protect against the rain. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

deaddog

Reaction score
And to be clear on my original question - its not whether the silk would protect me from the rain but whether the rain would ruin the silk. Having written that, I realize that it is kind of stupid to be looking at a coat to wear in the rain that doesn't protect one from the rain - but, so be it.
The question stands - will rain harm a silk trenchcoat?
Thanks

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a silk scarf that got wet under the rain... some drops not too much.. and it is as good as new.

The weaving is very simple, nothing fancy...

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a jacket I bought to resell (Bobby Jones Collection) that is made of a 100% silk outer shell that has been treated to resist water. I tested a small area to satisfy my own curiosity and lo and behold the water beaded off and left no residual spot. YMMV though.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Brioni trench in silk. I would not wear it in the rain. It really doesn't seem like it would make a viable raincoat. For a raincoat, I do various Loro Piana Storm System coats in cotton, camel hair, cashmere or nylon.

JamesT

Reaction score
I have a linen trench coat (which I have yet to wear either in the rain or in the trenches). I'm unsure as to how water-repellent it is - I think I shall test it tonight.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Aquascrutum made a silk ladies' trench. I assume silk _can_ be treated to be waterproof. Certain umbrella fetishists insist on silk canopies for their umbrellas, for instance. However, I've also heard whispers that the silk can lose its proofing. Then again, many raincoats need reproofing now and then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads