1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Silk pockets squares

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Walter, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

I always seem to have a hard time with my pocket squares. They look good for 15 minutes and then they "slip" inside the breast pocket and become invisible. I need to keep taking them out all the time.
    Any recommendation to solve this problem?

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Use the puff, but don't fold the points under-and-up. Just stuff the thing in the pocket with the points hanging down. They will sort of curl under, and the result should (might) be enough support to keep the puff showing.

There are other "twist and fold" methods that I use, but I'm not sure I could put them into words.

3. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

How do I keep a silk square from slipping up and protruding out too far? Drives me nuts.

4. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

I cant believe you are actually having that problem. Mine (no exception) slip inside the pocket.

5. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

I sympathize. In the past, I had problems keeping a silk square from sinking into the pocket.

My experience is that getting the pocket square to sit properly in the breast pocket is more art than science. I've found that eventually the puff starts to creep outward while any sort of point fold migrates downward over time. My best results have been when I use an anarchic version of the reverse puff. But, because I don't fold or squeeze the portion of the square that sits in the pocket, I find it tends to fill the pocket up a bit better. It takes about three attempts before I get a satisfactory look.

6. CarsonInMaryland

CarsonInMaryland Member

I have a problem with slippage sometimes as well, depending on the jacket I'm wearing. I've found that sticking a kleenex into the bottom of the pocket does the trick.

7. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Staying away from 12" squares (Zegna and Brioni ) in favor of 18" squares helps a lot by filling the pocket more completely.

8. boston

boston Well-Known Member

ummm

i am embarassed to admit this, but i actually put a small block of folded aluminum foil in the pocket before putting the square in. This raises the bottom of the pocket by about an inch, which keeps the square in place.

-boston

9. acole

acole Well-Known Member

...not to mention the vast improvement in FM reception.

10. j

j Well-Known Member

Plus, it keeps FOX News out of your heart.

11. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member