• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silk and cashmere blend sweaters

cmrocks

Reaction score
I was looking at some silk and cashmere blend sweaters at Banana Republic the other day and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I think they are 85% silk and 15% cashmere. I know BR isn't known for the greatest quality but I'm in college and can't afford much much. I think they would be nice to wear as a lighter weight layer.

Also, can they be hand washed? Their site says dry clean only but I'd rather check here first.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
I had a cashmere blend sweater from Express (around the same quality level I suppose) and it shed so much even after a few wearings that I returned it.
I've heard the same thing from a friend about a BR cashmere sweater.

That said, they were both a high percentage of cashmere, so 15% might not give you the same problems.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They aren't too bad. I have a couple (purchased dirt cheap on sale) that haven't experienced any quality issues. They're nice for fall/winter, especially if you know you'll be spending a lot of time inside and the warmth of pure cashmere isn't necessary. I reccomend them with a hearty OCBD.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't stand silk sweaters... some people will tell you that silk is a warm weather fabric, however the truth is it doesn't breathe well.

stach

Reaction score
I agree. Silk makes a great thermal layer for the winter.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike C.
I can't stand silk sweaters... some people will tell you that silk is a warm weather fabric, however the truth is it doesn't breathe well.
I've got a Mexx 70% silk 30% cotton sweater for dirt cheap on sale... but it has a peculiar smell... I don't like it.. even I noticed it gives the same smell to other clothes when put together... I washed carefully by hand but is still stinky... somebody has this experience ?

stach

Reaction score
Sounds like raw silk. You're smelling the protien. Try dry cleaning it.

soultek

Reaction score
I've got a black one from last season, won't last you more than 1 or 2 seasons. Mine is piling pretty bad and I think it's begining to develop a small hole in the back. However, the price is right, and I like the fit.

this season's could be better, and the 100% cashmere's should be better as well.

The smell seems to have gotten worse with dry cleaning. I don't mind it though.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I have a bunch from Loro Piana. The silk/cashmere blend is very warm even when the fabric is thin. I have found that Dryel works well with these.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know that much about the Silk/Cashmere Blend BR sweaters. And I know that BR isn't held in the highest esteem here on the Forum.

But, last winter I received 3 100% Cashmere sweaters from BR as Gifts. They were from a step-daughter so I was pre-disposed to like them no matter what! But, they really have been great and I have nothing but good things to say about them. They might not be Pringle, but they're certainly not crap.

As to the Silk/Cashmere Blends, I intuitively think that a greater percentage of Cashmere than 15% would be required, for the sweaters to hold up well.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these the thin luxury blend ones? I picked up a couple for $19 each and so far they have been great. They fit slimly, don't add bulk, and are good layering items. I haven't worn them long enough to notice any misshapping, but for that price I don't really care if they don't last me several years.

If you can get them cheap, highly recommended.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Great thing about BR items is that the sales are frequent. But I would look at J Crew for cashmere before BR.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads