Silk and cashmere blend sweaters

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cmrocks, Aug 9, 2006.

1. cmrocks

cmrocks Senior member

I was looking at some silk and cashmere blend sweaters at Banana Republic the other day and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I think they are 85% silk and 15% cashmere. I know BR isn't known for the greatest quality but I'm in college and can't afford much much. I think they would be nice to wear as a lighter weight layer.

Also, can they be hand washed? Their site says dry clean only but I'd rather check here first.

2. ComboOrgan

ComboOrgan Senior member

I had a cashmere blend sweater from Express (around the same quality level I suppose) and it shed so much even after a few wearings that I returned it.
    I've heard the same thing from a friend about a BR cashmere sweater.

That said, they were both a high percentage of cashmere, so 15% might not give you the same problems.

3. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

They aren't too bad. I have a couple (purchased dirt cheap on sale) that haven't experienced any quality issues. They're nice for fall/winter, especially if you know you'll be spending a lot of time inside and the warmth of pure cashmere isn't necessary. I reccomend them with a hearty OCBD.

4. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

They are fine quality sweaters and can be washed on the gentle cycle in your washer with Woolite and dried on the delicate dryer cylce.

5. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

I can't stand silk sweaters... some people will tell you that silk is a warm weather fabric, however the truth is it doesn't breathe well.

6. stach

stach Senior member

I agree. Silk makes a great thermal layer for the winter.

7. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I can't stand silk sweaters... some people will tell you that silk is a warm weather fabric, however the truth is it doesn't breathe well.
    I've got a Mexx 70% silk 30% cotton sweater for dirt cheap on sale... but it has a peculiar smell... I don't like it.. even I noticed it gives the same smell to other clothes when put together... I washed carefully by hand but is still stinky... somebody has this experience ?

8. stach

stach Senior member

Sounds like raw silk. You're smelling the protien. Try dry cleaning it.

9. soultek

soultek Well-Known Member

I've got a black one from last season, won't last you more than 1 or 2 seasons. Mine is piling pretty bad and I think it's begining to develop a small hole in the back. However, the price is right, and I like the fit.

this season's could be better, and the 100% cashmere's should be better as well.

The smell seems to have gotten worse with dry cleaning. I don't mind it though.

10. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I have a bunch from Loro Piana. The silk/cashmere blend is very warm even when the fabric is thin. I have found that Dryel works well with these.

11. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I don't know that much about the Silk/Cashmere Blend BR sweaters. And I know that BR isn't held in the highest esteem here on the Forum.

But, last winter I received 3 100% Cashmere sweaters from BR as Gifts. They were from a step-daughter so I was pre-disposed to like them no matter what! But, they really have been great and I have nothing but good things to say about them. They might not be Pringle, but they're certainly not crap.

As to the Silk/Cashmere Blends, I intuitively think that a greater percentage of Cashmere than 15% would be required, for the sweaters to hold up well.

12. sushijerk

sushijerk Well-Known Member

Are these the thin luxury blend ones? I picked up a couple for $19 each and so far they have been great. They fit slimly, don't add bulk, and are good layering items. I haven't worn them long enough to notice any misshapping, but for that price I don't really care if they don't last me several years.

If you can get them cheap, highly recommended.

13. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Great thing about BR items is that the sales are frequent. But I would look at J Crew for cashmere before BR.