• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silently Judging Me - and my clothes!

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Has anybody on this forum ever experienced REVERSE discrimination because of their sartorial inclinations? I've heard through a number of friends and acquaintances that there are scattered individuals around the campus I live on that I'm arrogant, entitled, extremely wealthy, and snobbish. Clearly, only the first and last are true.

The basis for their opinions is my habit of wearing good shoes, blazers, and tailored shirts. Now I'll admit that I stand out a lot, but I never expected people to judge me negatively based on what is really a fairly conservative style.

Experiences?

I also had an opposite experience, where a friend's girlfriend was convinced I was an arrogant musclehead because I like to sit in my OWN suite's living room, playing Halo 2 and wearing an A-shirt. Yeah, wife-beaters in public is pretty classless, but this is MY ROOM. Also, I'm not exactly 'dieseled' - BMI of 20.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
Has anybody on this forum ever experienced REVERSE discrimination because of their sartorial inclinations? I've heard through a number of friends and acquaintances that there are scattered individuals around the campus I live on that I'm arrogant, entitled, extremely wealthy, and snobbish. Clearly, only the first and last are true.

Too bad the middle 2 arent true, then all the ho's would wanna rock with you.

Honestly, if I see a young man (under 25) dressed too much like an older man (OCBDs, blazers, think AAAC trad) , my first reaction is that he's "trying too hard" and "doesn't he know he has plenty of time to *grow up*". I'm not saying a younger man has to dress in ripped jeans and tshirts all the time, but a person can dress well and very nicely without looking like a Brooks Bros ad.

But you gotta rock the way you need to, so if that's your thing then just do it and damn everyone else.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86

Milk it and make them believe the middle two are as well!
sly.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do think it's possible to wear clothes too conspicuously. Examples: constantly wearing a suit, regardless of the event, like Nixon on the beach; wearing high-end bals polished a little too shiny with casual clothes that are a bit too well-pressed; spending so much time, effort and money on dressing that it's apparent to all how much time, effort and money has been spent on dressing.

In short, always looking a bit too brand new and catalog perfect, and refusing to dress for the occasion. It's just trying too hard. The effect becomes "Look at the items I'm wearing." And it can be very alienating.

I think this is much more of a problem for young guys than older ones. As an old man, I hope to wear nothing but three-piece suits and fedoras. But for now, I try to keep my style appropriate for the moment, if a bit on the dressy side. (Some people, I'm sure, would say I slip over the line. My girlfriend the other day declared: "You're not John Steed!" I took it as a compliment.)

None of this, of course, is meant to imply that's what you're doing, Augusto. Some folks are just particularly sensitive to the matter. And like Get Smart said, different strokes for different folks.

I'm just happy I made it to the end of this post without mentioning sprezzatura.

drake

Reaction score
I don't ever feel any reverse discrimination because I dress appropriately. I don't wear bespoke suits to class and I don't wear jeans to black tie affairs.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm (recently) 22.

I bought a bunch of polos from Hollister, A&F, et. al. at a thrift store for $1 apiece for the purpose of resale. I kept wearing them as a sort of personal joke, because looking like that particular brand of douchebag is something I've not done much of.

Curiously enough, I got a lot of compliments. Not from the same sort of people I typically would, either, but it's certainly one way to expand your appeal...

I accidentally ended up liking one of the A&F polos (white with stripes, I would guess it to be Lacoste were the moose absent) and ended up hanging onto it.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have realized that a blazer in many contexts can somehow convey the appearance of being overdressed, where a fine tailored shirt with no jacket would not.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone who stands out is going to be talked about or face discrimination. It`s nice to wear fine sheep, but not to be one of them.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I've learned recently that not giving a flying **** what people think is a good attitude to have. It's served me pretty well.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I've learned recently that not giving a flying **** what people think is a good attitude to have. It's served me pretty well.

It's easy to have that attitude at your age.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
And I'll continue having it until I die.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
And I'll continue having it until I die.

or at least until Uncle Sam says that he wants his money back.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been told a number of times that the way I dress is intimidating, especially to women. Too bad
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads