• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sigh. I got a minor tear in my Lobbs..

vanco

Reaction score
Had a little accident while being slightly too vigorous in brushing a pair of my Lobbs the other day resulting in the wooden grip of the brush scraping the toe of the right shoe. Hard. As the wood wasn't really smooth or filed down, needless to say, it left some heartbreaking damage to the toe. As the pictures show, apart from the "impact bruises" causing some deep creasing, a small flap of leather has come loose where the brush grip literally tore the upper layer off. Resulting in the shoe equivalent of a scraped knee one would get from falling of a bicycle.

With that analogy (and leather being skin really...
blush.gif
), I cleaned the area delicately, put the loose flap back on and put a small layer of cream on top, rubbing it in slowly. Needless to say, that didn't do jack.. and now I'm left deciding whether or not to take it to a cobbler/shoe repair, or to do some DIY at home .. Not sure if I can even find a leather repair kit here in Singapore, or a place that can sort this out... Realistically, i'm probably gonna take it to a cobbler. But i'm just wondering if there's gonna be any issues with polishing that area in the future... sigh.
confused.gif

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
being creative here... small dab of superglue to glue the patch back on? Cover up with polish?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is why I will never own a pair of shoes over $450. I'm fine with benchgrade.

theoldadage

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
This is why I will never own a pair of shoes over $450. I'm fine with benchgrade.
Constructive. I would take them to a decent cobbler. Are there any shoemakers near you?

Wideknot

Reaction score
If they are Lobb bespoke, seems to me that "send them back to Lobb" would be the best option. If they are Lobb RTW then "send them back to Lobb" is probably the best option as well. While the damage is definite, it is not extensive, and I would be really leery of dropping off a $1,000.00 shoe (RTW; $5,000.00? bespoke) at a local rip-and-resole operation. It is very easy to make something bad into something terrible if you don't have experience dealing with it.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bro.....Those shoes/color isn't something that will have a "gleaming" shine if you brush for 20 sec or 20 min. Take it easy with the brushing.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No way, no glue on that. I've gotten much worse cuts in my shoes and with some cream and wax you wouldn't even notice now. That is not worth losing sleep over pal, it can be fixed. Send them to Ron Rider if you are really nervous, he is a real corpse reviver.

vanco

Reaction score
Haha..
laugh.gif
Thanks for the help guys! To be honest, the superglue idea did cross my mind a bit (It works great on vinyl and other faux leathers!) but dissipated just as quick! Guess I'll take it down to some of the local places and see what they have to say about it. Nah, they're not bespoke Lobbs. RTW they are. But nice nice RTW. And I
inlove.gif
the Museum Blue. Which is why it's even more upsetting as it damage, though small, is rather noticeable. And you're right, it's not a colour that will need "shining" at all... I guess I just gotta cut down on the brushing strength. Now that I think about it though, i've probably hit my other shoes a couple'a times the same way while brushing but never had such an experience. The leather on this pair does seem a tad softer and delicate than some of my other shoes though...including other Lobbs. To be honest, i'm not that bummed about the tear propagating further as a good cobbler (nope, as far as I know, no real good shoemakers around in Singapore. Pardon me if i'm wrong, but at least none that I know of..) would probably be able to stick it back on. Just worried of the possibility that he may/may not do a credible job - like a bad skin graft - resulting in more patchwork down the road. Oh well.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From personal experience - even if you stick the flap back on - the improvement would be minimal. Over time you'll forget about it though. They'll look like they've got a bit more character
wink.gif

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This type of damage seems inevitable, especially with your favorite pairs (at least in my experience). With the Lobb's, I agree with Wideknot on sending them back to them directly. At least reach out to them to see what their advice is. Maybe they have someone in New York they use. Otherwise, I'd just take them to a good cobbler and have them repaired. I've had the same thing happen (although not while cleaning shoes!!), and they've been repaired to my satisfaction.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
minor damage like that is gonna be par for the course if you wear your shoes anyway. I can empathize with your frustration right now, however! the first scuff, scratch, etc always drives me crazy too.

I have to agree that that kind of minor damage helps the shoes build character.

vanco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenStyle
From personal experience - even if you stick the flap back on - the improvement would be minimal. Over time you'll forget about it though. They'll look like they've got a bit more character
wink.gif

Yeah, I know what you mean. First coffee stain on a new couch, first fender bender on a new car etc etc... Just didn't think the first big scuff on my new shoes would come within the first 2 weeks of owning them!... Haha...

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Leave as is.
2. Post in Shoes with Character thread.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wideknot
If they are Lobb bespoke, seems to me that "send them back to Lobb" would be the best option. If they are Lobb RTW then "send them back to Lobb" is probably the best option as well. While the damage is definite, it is not extensive, and I would be really leery of dropping off a $1,000.00 shoe (RTW; $5,000.00? bespoke) at a local rip-and-resole operation. It is very easy to make something bad into something terrible if you don't have experience dealing with it.

I think this is your best option.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads