• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Siestas.

fatty

Reaction score
I can sleep anywhere if I am sufficiently tired. Afternoon naps are awesome, and who said anything about 15minutes?

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Guatemala I got used to a nice 30 minutes siesta every afternoon. There is nothing like a little hammock time to rejuvenate the body and spirit. Of course, now I'm lucky if I can even take a lunch break on most days.
frown.gif

muelleran

Reaction score
This info I just googled up about shopping hours in Spain sum up my personal experiences in Spain:

Shops' general opening hours are:
Monday - Saturday: 09:30 - 13:30 & 17:00 - 20:30
Department stores and shopping malls open without interruption from 10:00 - 22:00.
Sunday: closed
Don't bother to shop in the afternoon.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
it's possible. i think i heard something about them being the least efficent european country and wanting to change that. i didn't here any specifics though.

the great thing about it is that rather than eating luch alone or with the dreaded co-workers, you can eat lunch with your family, your friends, or your friend's family. people bring their new girlfriend/boyfriend home to meet the family on any random afternoon, rather than making a big deal of it and introducing them at christmas.

That's what i hate. There's this constant drive for efficiency. Why? Will it really matter in the end? Maybe if we all helped each other we could all be having siestas and enjoying life but instead we choose competition and people die from it. =(

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by muelleran
This info I just googled up about shopping hours in Spain sum up my personal experiences in Spain: Don't bother to shop in the afternoon.
Same back home. You can actually expect the police to come over and tell you to shut the hell up if you are making a racket during that time (like here in the USA at night). Works well in the summer when it is obscenely hot and humid, you can go to the beach and have a swim some grub and a beer
smile.gif
Or just go home eat with the family and have a nap. Works well. Entertaining to see confused tourists who are there for the first time wondering why places are closing after dinner time
biggrin.gif

muelleran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
That's what i hate. There's this constant drive for efficiency. Why? Will it really matter in the end? Maybe if we all helped each other we could all be having siestas and enjoying life but instead we choose competition and people die from it. =(

Oh yea,
smile.gif
take a break!

ibiza.cafe.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu

Even the efficent Germans know to relax better than the Americans.

Reaction score
i have enough trouble sleeping at night without introducing an afternoon nap to gum up the works. i would rather spend siesta time reading for pleasure or watching leaves float downriver.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love siestas. Yes, everyday before my afternoon tea or 'merienda'.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I sometimes take sleeping pills, but then I have an habit of going to bed at very late times.

Take melatonin instead, it will lullaby your world.
http://www.vitacost.com/TwinlabContr...leaseMelatonin

I find it hard for myself to get to sleep right away, I usually toss and turn for at least 30 minutes before going to sleep. I have been known to take lunch breaks sleeping in my car though. Sitting at a desk for 8 hours is quite exhausting. Going and grabbing a bite from 12-1 is absolute pandemonium, what is the point of waiting in line for 30 minutes, and then scarfing a lunch for 5 minutes, and then fighting traffic back to the office.

On the other hand, I believe Spain has the highest unemployment rate in Europe. The rest of the Spanish speaking world is way worse off too. Something about those Spanish speakers, maybe a little too complacent. Though I would love a 2-3 hour lunch and work later into the night.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would have suspected Portugal to have an high unemployment rate as well; or, judging by Ernest's predilictions, France.

Does melatonin work? I have taken it for jet-lag and it didn't seem particularly effective.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have suspected Portugal to have an high unemployment rate as well; or, judging by Ernest's predilictions, France.

Does melatonin work? I have taken it for jet-lag and it didn't seem particularly effective.

I swear by it. You need some good stuff and you need to be a little bit tired for it to work. That stuff I linked is controlled release, it will release slowly into the body. Many brands you get give you a shot of melatonin, knock you out and then you wake up shortly after. Take an hour before bed and you'll be good to go.

alflauren

Reaction score
Even the efficent Germans know to relax better than the Americans.

They certainly know how to vacation, but I'm pretty sure the Germans have no idea how to relax.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads