• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sierra Designs

nth11

Reaction score
I'm looking for a parka or rain jacket for the spring and I recently stumbled upon this new Sierra Designs 60/40 parka at UO.

I know that there are lots of vintage 60/40s floating around SF and Ebay, can anyone who has a vintage and/or new one attest to their fit/quality/weatherproofness?
Thanks.

Pangolin

Reaction score
Interesting.

I think the Japanese ones are made in the US, these are only "designed" in the US, whatever that means. I can't really see from the pictures, but it seems that they got rid of the rear pocket as well, which would be a shame.
60/40 fabric is not really weatherproof, if you get caught in the rain, you will be wet before long and, on the vintage ones at least, the dye will run off. 60/40 fabric is interesting, but shouldn't be bought for its technical properties. I read in an old Backpacker magazine that 65/35 fabric was actually better than 60/40, and my vintage 65/35 Class 5 parka seems to confirm this.

I'd be curious to see one of these in real life though. Someone buy one and review it.

nth11

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification on how weatherproof the 60/40 is.

Do you know of anything similar in style that would keep me dry?
I'm in need of a slim parka or raincoat that I can pull out on rainy days.

I am really liking the Sierra Designs though. Might have to just go with that and get an umbrella.

gululv

Reaction score
Wtf? My friend just bought what I recognized as a sierra designs 60 40 parka from a flea market for 3 USD! He didn't even know that this jacket is a classic, never heard about the brand, and that it sells on ebay for maybe 200 USD. I am stunned. I felt kind of stupid in my expensive parka..

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by giraffe lookout
Did anyone else notice that these are "designed in the USA?"

def = made in china

anything exclusively made for UO = in vogue/popular design made with poor materials/construction

Pangolin

Reaction score
Urban Outfitters also sold Quoddy and Duluth Pack and I doubt they had the production moved to China for these two brands. The production of the parkas has more to do with Sierra Designs' decisions, less Urban Outfitters'. It would be nice if they had decided to make them in the US, but it is unlikely.

Who has seen one in real life anyway? I went into an Urban Outfitters to take a look at it but they didn't have any. They only had mugs with mustaches.

Pangolin

Reaction score
"Manufactured in Vietnam from American fabrics"

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by octopandda
"Manufactured in Vietnam from American fabrics"

lol ... yeah i wanna see it in real life. urban outfitters always posts on website before it goes to actual stores. when they released their j press collab, it took 2 months before it actually showed up at the georgetown store and not all of the styles were there

Pangolin

Reaction score
Now that I think bout it, for the same price and a little patience, you can find a vintage 60/40 in excellent condition on eBay, made in the US too. Not sure who they are targeting with the reissue. Bloggers probably.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads