• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sidelined by stress fracture in ankle. Anybody gone through this?

Shiny

Reaction score
I have been running pretty regularly for the past 3-4 months with a least 1 day off between runs. Not big distances; about 3-4 miles. About 2 weeks ago, the inside of my left ankle was tingling when I landed. I took a week off and tried it again a couple of days ago. It hurt again so I cut off my planned run and went to see the doc the following day. Turns out the Xray revealed a stress fracture.

I can walk ok it's just the pounding of running that will aggravate it. It never got swollen or anything. Doc told me to lay off running for 4-6 weeks. He didn't give me a cast or anything. Told me to take an advil if it really hurt (which it doesn't and never did). I just went to see him to be cautious.

Apparently, I can swim or bike to get my cardio in. I always feel and look more toned when I'm running, though. Bicycling has never given me these results. And, I don't have access to a nearby pool.

Anyway, kinda bummed about this. I miss running cause it gives me an escape. It's a real destresser. Anybody gone through this? Any tips?

Rusty G.

Reaction score
Bummer. . .try something that doesn't pound your ankles for a little while. . .maybe spinning classes, or bike riding, an eliptical trainer or something like that.

Shiny

Reaction score
Also, for those that have had this, does your ankle or bone come back (or fuse) stronger than before? Or, is it some kind of recurring thing that you'll never get rid of?

yarnsforth

Reaction score
I had a "hairline" fracture on the base of a foot once. Definitely couldn't run; kept my leg up at night; took a bit over a year to heal. Sometimes it felt like it had gotten better and I would hurt it again walking quickly, or stepping off a curb too hard. Sucked. At times I thought it would never get better.

If your ankle fracture heals in 4-6 weeks, I will consider you to be fortunate. I suggest doing what you can to help that process, i.e. put as little weight on it as you can and elevate it when possible. An occasional bath with dead sea salt should help, too.

Raxxman

Reaction score
The Docs advice is sound.

Only thing I can suggest is change out your running shoes more often, and try to run on soft surfaces more.

But find a pool, Swimming is awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads