• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sideburns?

benno

Reaction score
What do you guys think of sideburns? Stylish? Cheesy? Totally unacceptable? If you like them, how big? What shape? I'm just wondering what you all think.
Thanks,
ben

pstoller

Reaction score
I had 'em when I was a lot younger. They looked ridiculous, I suppose, but what did I know?
smile.gif
I think sideburns are acceptable on guys young enough not to know better (see above), or too old to care what anybody else thinks (a senior citizen, at the very least), provided that you have dense enough facial hair to carry it off (which most people in both the too young and too old categories don't). They're also OK on guys so gorgeous they can do any weird thing and still look great, or so homely or eccentric looking that the sideburns couldn't hurt. So, for 99.9% of guys, I'd say, "no." And that goes double for the countless high school to college-aged males who only think they're both 1) gorgeous and 2) have dense enough facial hair (see above again, much to my chagrin).

joshxfoo

Reaction score
I have shortish sideburns that go down to the bottom of the part of the ear that is attached to the cheek and is a half circle shape. Â Not the part that many people have pierced [ear lobe], the part above that. Â Don't know what its called. Â I think they look alright. Admittedly, I used to have really, really, all-the-way-down-to-wherever-they-stop-growing sideburns when I first got facial hair and thought sideburns were the ultimate sign of my manhood, and I may have just never fully outgrown that
smile.gif

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I've been playing with mine recently.

I think they're cool. But I own my own business and am trying for an artsy, edgy sort of look. May not work for everyone.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must admit that I fell victim to the sideburn craze in the late 80s when Brandon and Dylan from "Beverly Hills 90210" were the epitome of cool. Fortunately there is little photo documentation of that style experiment.
smile.gif
I think sideburns can look good if they are kept trim and extend no farther than halfway down the ear.

Michael

Reaction score
when Brandon and Dylan from "Beverly Hills 90210" were the epitome of cool
Were?. WERE?. Whatchu talkin about WERE.

Joe G

Reaction score
Depends. I think sideburns can look good if your face is angular enough and if they're not stupidly cut.

Neatly trimmed hair coming down to somewhere on the ears, fine.

Knife edges? Silly, no matter which way the point is pointing.

Mutton chops or anything that extends beyond the ear and is not part of a full beard? Spare me.

Shaved head with 'burns? Unless you're over seven feet tall and have NBA teams devise strategem just to deal with you, forget it.

As for me, my hairstyle is basically modelled after one of today's great gentlemen, United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan of Ghana, including facial hair. But because I'm a few decades younger than the honourable Secretary-General, I've added neatly trimmed sideburns that come down to the middle of my earlobes.

Peace,

JG

Messenger 35

Reaction score
Just my opinion here, but the only guy who ever looked "cool" with sideburns was Elvis back in the 50's. Wearing sideburns for most guys kind of gives off the impression of trying too hard to be cool.

gege21290

Reaction score
Get rid of sideburns!
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

TurfedGomer

Reaction score
A clean cut look is universally appreciated. Not saying that sideburns suck, but you can't go wrong with clean cut.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Short ones are fine depending on the shape of your face....

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jermaine-clement.jpg

F-yeah!

George80

Reaction score
Vincent Vega and Jules Winnfield. Nuff said. If you don't know who they are, you shouldn't be allowed sideburns.
I rest my case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics