• Styleforum is going on Instagram Live with Paul Kelly of S.E.H. Kelly on Friday, April 10, 7:00 a.m. PDT

Wake up tomorrow and tune in as Peter talks to Paul Kelly of S.E.H Kelly, a long time Styleforum member and sponsor, in the latest episode in our ongoing series of conversations about COVID-19 and the impact the global pandemic on the menswear industry

Tune in at 7:00 a.m. PDT

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Side Vents Not Laying Properly

callmematthew

Reaction score
My apologies if this thread is not properly placed. I am new to this forum. Thank you for your time and insight.

If the side vents won't overlap (i.e., a gap shows unless I fiddle with the fabric), can a tailor fix this? I don't have this problem with another jacket by the same manufacturer in the same size. I'd rather not size up in the future because the sleeves don't taper as well on my arms, but I don't want to invite this additional alteration... if it's even possible. Which is worse: fixing ornery vents or tapering sleeves and taking in the chest? I assume the latter.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You need to post pics.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes that can typically be fixed by letting out the side seams at the hip level.

ben_khosravi

Reaction score
This was the closest thread I could find that mentioned a similar issue I have with the new spier & mackay sportcoat I just bought. As you can see in the first picture with me wearing the jacket, the side vent is not laying right. The flap looks like it is getting caught. When I compare the construction to other jackets I own, like the one I have from suitsupply (picture included), I noticed that the flap seam is NOT sewn down in the spier & mackay. I tried to show what I mean by this in the other 2 pictures I included. I figure I could easily just take it to a tailor and have them sew it down to be like the suitsupply jacket. I just wanted to get some other people’s opinions on this and if this something common.

Attachments

papado

Reaction score
This was the closest thread I could find that mentioned a similar issue I have with the new spier & mackay sportcoat I just bought. As you can see in the first picture with me wearing the jacket, the side vent is not laying right. The flap looks like it is getting caught. When I compare the construction to other jackets I own, like the one I have from suitsupply (picture included), I noticed that the flap seam is NOT sewn down in the spier & mackay. I tried to show what I mean by this in the other 2 pictures I included. I figure I could easily just take it to a tailor and have them sew it down to be like the suitsupply jacket. I just wanted to get some other people’s opinions on this and if this something common.
Yeah, that looks more like some missing/loosened stitching then necessarily having a true fit issue. A tailor could easily stitch that back up; if you're near S+M I'd see if they can do it; else ask if they can give you a credit to cover whatever the minimal charge an external tailor will do it for.

lfd75

Reaction score
I had the same issue with a jacket, you can fix it yourself in less than 10 minutes with a blind stitch.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.