Sid Mashburn Online Store Live

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DrFaustus, Jul 11, 2011.

1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I was in there last week and all anyone in the place could talk about was how busy things have been since the website went live. I got the impression they are sorting out the growing pains/getting a better feel of what the site needs to be before they expand their online offerings. I talked to the SA about the suits and he made no mention of them being offered online in the near future. I think the site will remain what it is now until the dust settles.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

2. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

My understanding is no time soon. I think the feeling is there are some things that should be fitted in person. This may change though.

A few thoughts about Sid Mashburn in general:
    1) The SAs are some of the more engaging, non-pushy guys in the business. They have a "house style" in the way they dress, but don't come across to me as holier than thou. They are also very knowledgeable. I was in once and Mark Anthony complemented my suit, looked at my shoes and said "vintage?" They were.
    2) Online clothing sales is a tricky business and I think they are going about it the right way - starting largely with accessories and items that are easy to fit like shirts. I've told the guys there in the past that they should have a blog - similar to Blackbird or Leffot - where they highlight new items, maybe post some pictures of things that inspire them, whatever. It would drive business to the store and I wouldn't think would be too tough to maintain.
    3) Sid is one of the nicest guys I have met anywhere, and, It sure seem's, a master at marketing himself and his store. He has cultivated this on-line cult status that I believe is very well deserved, and something many others in the business would kill for. This rubs off on the SA's. I go into the store about two or three times a year and they always remember my name.

3. Artking3

Artking3 Senior member

Has anyone had any experience with Sid Mashburn trousers, as regards to fit and workmanship? I am thinking of getting one and would like opinions on their quality.

4. rjsphd

rjsphd Senior member

5. killercadi

killercadi Senior member

I have about four pairs and love them. I like them more than any Incotex or Valentini pants I have. I think they are made very well and have a nice price point. SM's customer service is very good also.

6. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of the ones I saw in the store recently had a "Made in Brooklyn" label on them

7. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

Any shirt experience? I like the modified spread collar they do, wondering how they fit.

-Geoff

8. killercadi

killercadi Senior member

Mine all say "Made in Brooklyn". I like the fit because it's not a super skinny but a nice slim fit. Some Incotex and Mabitex are just to slim for me in the thighs.

9. GusW

I bought three sized shirts (i.e. 16 x 35) the fit is somewhat similar to a Brooks Brothers Slim Fit. The SA told me that their S, M, L, XL shirts are a bit more fitted in the chest but I didn't try any on.

10. Artking3

Artking3 Senior member

Thanks for your input. I'll probably pick up the cotton canvas pants. It helps they have a good return policy if it doesn't work out.

11. clemente21

clemente21 Senior member

Like BB slim fit? So they're bigger than the BB extra slim?

12. cmacey

cmacey Senior member

I find mine are just a little more than my MTO extra slim fit BBs...

13. clemente21

clemente21 Senior member

yikes - the bb extra slim already have way too much fabric in the back. I like sid mashburn, but he is definitely appealing to an older, less thin crowd than other places.

14. cmacey

cmacey Senior member

No worries, I have mine made without the extra material in the back. The fits are not far off from each other.

15. GusW

Update on my Sid Mashburn purchases. I bought three shirts, all sized 16 x 35. After washing and wearing them several times here are my comments

Pro
    -The fabric colors are excellent. They really caught my eye and look good
    - Nice cut in should area
    - collar shape is nice

Con
    -OCBD collar has far too much excess fabric and is always wrinkled
    -End on end fabric and gingham fabric collar and cuffs have stiff fused feel, they are also a bit hard.
    - Waist seems far too big and not proportional to the shoulder dimensions (and I am not skinny in the waist)

I doubt I will buy more of the Sid Mashburn house brand unless the cut and fabrics are changed.