Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sid Mashburn Online Store Live

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DrFaustus, Jul 11, 2011.

1. DrFaustus

DrFaustus Senior member

Indeed, it does.

The sleeve lengths of their shirts are keeping me from trying one.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

2. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I will say that I am a fan of SM. You're spot on with the marketing associated with his business, evidenced by "style bloggers" and GQ using his pubic hair as fire poles. However, I think the offerings in the B&M store are far more varied and unique than the offerings on the site. There have been several things in there, from accessories like watch bands and glasses to clothing like shoes and jeans, that have caught my eye and stood out as quite unique (especially for Atlanta).

However, I don't agree with your sentiment in regards to taste and style. While you can't expect the quality (in materials or craftsmanship) of Kiton, Cucinelli or the like from the store, they certainly stock well made products at reasonable prices. I think when they look to compare themselves to "celebrated $250 shirts, etc" they are saying there are several companies that sell their goods at that price point that do not have the attention to quality they have, rather than saying that their goods are on-par with goods that are worth the $250-a-shirt price point.

I also find it mildly amusing you are extolling daring or "unsafe" styles on SF. :D

3. coolshoes

coolshoes Senior member

Where did I say this? I said that a person was safe in seeking SM's guidance, meaning that when they left the store no one will have to issue a "dressed in the dark alert," so to speak, and in fact that they will look pretty good.

Methinks you misinterpret.

4. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Who makes his dress shoes and the monk?

5. coolshoes

coolshoes Senior member

As to Sid Mashburn's price point on shirts, the specs they continually quote (stitches/inch, button material, etc.) are at least as much about marketing as they are substance. The actual construction and sewing values are somewhere in the middle. I never compared their shirts to anyone else. Sure, there are all kinds of overpriced goods out there. So what. Sid's shirts are okay and a decent value for the price. However, they are not the nirvana some make them out to be.

6. coolshoes

coolshoes Senior member

Alfred Sargent. Quality level is equal with AS Peale's for Brooks Brothers. Better styling, though, on Sid Mashburn's models, IMHO.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

7. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Methinks you might be right.

I was reading between the lines. I read that you were attempting to say that those with real style or taste choose more bold or less safe routes to acquire and wear their clothes than SM. SM (minus the occasional ankle "cleavage") tends to be pretty conservative and trad, both in cut and styling. Therefore, to say that shopping in an environment hawking those kinds wares is in less than good taste, I surmised that you were advocating a more severe style of dress. Especially on MC, this is hardly ever the SF opinion.

I apologize if I misinterpreted your stance or read too much into your comments. I fear this is why I was never able to excel at standardized testing. :D

8. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Thank you for the information and the context/ knowledge.

9. TintinATL

TintinATL Senior member

The online store has only a fraction of what's in the real store, and it's the less remarkable stuff. Maybe this will change in time and they will broaden the range.

The store itself has some very nice product, and the advice and tailoring is excellent. However I do find the "look how cool we are" – vinyl records, ping pong table, have a bottled water while you browse – a little irritating. There's an arch, so-fucking-hip air about it all that's just annoying.

That said, there is no better store in Atlanta.

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I returned from a very enjoyable trip to Atlanta. I especially enjoyed shopping at Sid Mashburn for several reasons:
    -The setting is very attractive and roomy for browsing with lots natural light.
    -The staff is very friendly. They didn't hover, and they offered me a bottle of Coke. When they did talk they were very informative. The entire staff dressed well, in a dressy casual style (ties, no socks, etc.)
    -The inventory ranged from Caruso made house jackets and suits to Sartorio jackets and even a few Attolini classic grey suits. They have a nice range of price points with private label shirts in the $140+ range, shorts, sport shirts in S,M,L, XL in classic fabrics and colors. Shoes ranges from AS, to a few EG and then some American made private label. Most of their pants are private label and say "made in Brooklyn". It was nice to see a specialty store not selling the same things that you find in Neimans or Saks.

One thing I especially liked was that they played vinyl records on a turntable and have a ping pong table in the center. But what was most impressive was that they have their tailoring staff right on display working on alterations and not hidden in a back room.

It is too bad that a lot of the atmosphere of the store isn't on the website. Adding music and some videos of the setting would go a long way I think. Also adding a blog with style ideas and examples of outfits would go a long way to show off their house style. That is currently missing from the site, I think.

Of course the selection in the store is much broader than on the website. I'm sure they are still discovering what sells best on line and I will look forward to see how it evolves. While I was there I bought 3 house brand shirts, socks and a pocket square. The shirts have a nice cut. Trim but not skinny.

Retail has been tough for everyone the last few years, but Sid is doing something right. Please open a store in San Francisco!

11. GusW

I can't imagine why someone would find this store annoying. Cool music, offering you a beverage? The guys were stylish and very nice to me. I completely disagree with your "so-fucking-hip" air about the place comment. That was not at all my experience.

12. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

This isn't my take at all. I like the vinyl records, the ping pong table was being used to lay out new clothing items last couple of times I was there. The offer of something to drink comes across as trying to make their clientele feel comfortable. As for the staff, they have always come across as genuinely wanting to help. The on-site tailoring is fantastic. I actually traveled to Atlanta several times on business and took items to be altered there; a suit, shirts, pants...
    I do wish that the Sid Mashburn line was more on the trim fit side of things. The shirts and pants I've bought there have all required alterations. If I remember correctly, it's $10 per item no matter what needs to be done and they are more than willing to mail it to me after the work is completed.
    Certainly agree with your last comment though.

13. zachthais

zachthais Member

Any chance you remember the price points on any of those suits? I really dig Mashburn's style and in my personal experience, he's a great guy. Unfortunately, I'm all the way here in CA so I haven't been able to find any of his suits anywhere.

14. GusW

Sorry, I don't recall the prices. Why not just call the store?

15. zachthais

zachthais Member

Plan to today, actually. Ironically received an email from Mr. Mashburn moments after I asked here.