Sid Mashburn Blazer (or How to Spend $900)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by callison, Sep 6, 2011.

1. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Not sure of the full range of Atlanta menswear stores, but Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren are right next to each other in the Lenox Mall.

2. kcc

kcc Senior member

Amen dude. You can't skimp on bespoke and expect a flawless garment. The top-shelved tailors are highly regarded for obvious reasons.

3. callison

callison Member

What are thoughts on the best fabric materials for year around wear? Would linen be too light - period - or might it be feasible since I live in Atlanta where it is hot 3/4 of the year? And would a light blue be best reserved for spring and summer?

4. apropos

apropos Senior member

At the risk of sounding like a smartass - depends on the linen. Linen comes in many different weights/weaves. Linen will wrinkle at lighter weights and rumple at heavier weights - it's an (IMO) casual cloth so its suitability may vary for you.

If you want something that is 'versatile' yet not as ubiquitous as the dark navy blazer the solution is simple - get a light navy one. There are many shades out there - some here like 'air force' blue, others 'light navy', and yet others other shades.

IMO a good weave for 'multiple season' wear would be something lighter, breathable (i.e. porous weave) and wool-based, maybe with a touch of mohair. You will have to compromise and decide whether you want this to be a spring-summer-autumn jacket or a autumn-winter-spring jacket because no fabric is going to be comfortable to wear in all 4 seasons. Don't get a flat finish worsted fabric or you will look to the SF folk like you are wearing an orphaned suit jacket.

Talk to your tailor if you are getting this made up.

5. CR78

CR78 Senior member

Bumping a semi-old thread here... if both Sid's house brand blazer and RLBL blazers are made by Caruso, is it safe to assume that both will have similar construction and quality, though the SM blazer retails fire more than $400.00 less? Can anyone who has worn both comment on the cuts?

6. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Have not worn either, but based on what I know about each: RLBL will be significantly more structured in the shoulder, probably have a lower button stance and slightly thinner lapels; SM will have a softer, natural shoulder and ticket pocket (not sure if RLBL has this); SM will likely be shorter.

7. WhateverYouLike

WhateverYouLike Senior member

Caruso makes at different levels. So no, it's not a safe assumption. They might be equal, but doubtful.

8. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior member

Labor costs aren't really a factor, so what could account for the $400 difference?

9. yerrow

yerrow Well-Known Member

caruso doesn't make sid's house brand, its still an italian make thats fully canvassed

10. callison

callison Member

I ended up going with Sid's house blazer. Very satisfied thus far. Major part of the decision was the service. They helped me shop around (i.e. even told me which people to talk to at which stores) , and everything comparable at different places around ATL was similarly priced. I liked Sid's the best + they had the best service - kind of makes it a no brainer. Will post pics later if people are interested.

11. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

12. bubba04

bubba04 Senior member

Apparently I drive by Sid Mashburn's Atlanta location all the time (mostly for my weekly Taqueria del Sol fix), but never knew about that store. I'm going to have to stop in and have a look. Good place for MTM shirts?

13. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

MTM shirts are $155 a pop.

+1. They used to have some SCs made by Caruso, but now the house brand is made by a small factory in Southern Italy.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  14. yerrow

yerrow Well-Known Member

they still do have sportcoats made by caruso...and sartorio

15. callison

callison Member

Below are some pics. Please disregard the Movember stache haha. Pretty shoddy lighting, but I took these on my way out the door for work. It's navy, but looks almost black in these pics. My shirt sleeves are also a bit short so not showing as much cuff as I'd like at the moment. The blazer ran $895. @Bournonbasted - the $995 one is another jacket that comes with pants. They are both SM house brand, but I liked this one a bit more - softer material.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011