Sicilian Reserve Bespoke Tailoring - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by novalis, May 25, 2017.

1. novalis

novalis Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Thanks to LA Guy, I’m pleased to introduce Sicilian Reserve and our Kickstarter campaign which just launched earlier this week.

This thread builds on the interest expressed by SF members in the East Sicily Tailors thread started by @UrbanComposition.

There are two ways to work with us depending on which part of the country you live in.
    • If you're on the East Coast or can easily travel to the NYC area for measurements and fittings, then you can reserve a spot on Kickstarter for fittings in September 2017 and delivery in December 2017.
    • If you’re in the Bay Area or San Francisco, then what I’d like to do on this thread is gauge interest for organizing a trip to San Francisco to take measurements in September 2017 (after the NYC fittings) and delivery in spring 2018.
    I’ve created a table which hopefully makes things clearer:

SR calendar.jpg

If there is strong interest and the timing works, it might be possible to move up the delivery date for the Bay Area. I would have to make a separate trip to San Francisco to take measurements and this means finding a date between June 17 and July 1 that works for everyone.

But for now let’s focus on determining how many folks are ready to commit to an order (jacket, pants, suit, overcoat).

In the meantime, it would be great to gain some momentum on the Kickstarter campaign for interested members in the NYC area. Please share the campaign to friends, family and sartorial enthusiasts in your lives.

The Kickstarter will end midnight EST on June 15, 2017 and focuses on three rewards:
    • $25 for the second, updated edition of the e-book Sleevehead's Guide to Sicilian Tailors
    • $250 for bespoke pants
    • $1,250 for a bespoke jacket
    The bespoke items are premised on cut-make-trim (CMT) meaning you source and supply the cloth to us.

If you’d like a quick summary of Sicilian Reserve, here’s my post on the East Sicily Tailors thread.

In addition, below is more of a 30,000 foot view of Sicilian tailoring and how that informs Sicilian Reserve:

Sicilian tailoring constitutes a third school of bespoke tailoring distinct from the two other well-known options - Savile Row and Naples. In a nutshell, Savile Row embodies sobriety and discretion in a jacket while Naples embodies exuberance (i.e. less structure). As a matter of attitude, Sicilian tailoring is more reserved than Naples but “smiles” a bit more than London. The result is a subtly different shape and silhouette of the Sicilian jacket and pants compared to their more familiar counterparts.

What accounts for these subtle nuances? Every single Sicilian tailor I have met is rooted in a specific place. Place grounds and integrates the tailor and his workshop. Place becomes inseparable from craft. This convergence of place and craft also helps paints a clear picture of what you’re wearing and why.

At least it helped me and I suspect this authenticity appeals to others as well.

Because they are very localized and less known, Sicilian tailors also create a rarer product than London and Naples in terms of production output. The difference is an order of magnitude or more - hundreds as opposed to tens of thousands of suits per year.

Sicilian Reserve is trying to do something truly different from the bespoke norm. We are trying to offer affordability, preserve rarity and ensure continuity as long as it remains possible.

I will soon post photos of a sample jacket and pants made from a single forward fitting by our featured Sicilian Reserve tailor. More photos are on Kickstarter and our website.

Last edited: May 25, 2017

2. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Hold on a sec...you're offering bespoke suits for $1500???

That's amazing!

3. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I'm definitely interested in an SF visit.

4. novalis

These are photos of a sample jacket made from a single forward fitting by the featured Sicilian Reserve tailor.

P5170909 SF.jpg

P5170952 SF.JPG

P5211797 SF.JPG

5. novalis

Yes, that's right. If you know bespoke prices in Savile Row and Naples, that does seem a bit shocking. But it's true.

6. novalis

Thanks Mr. Six and for helping to gauge interest on the East Sicily tailors thread.

7. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Nice. If anyone in the Bay Area wants to see an example of Sicilian tailoring, maybe we can organize a meetup & I can bring my jackets.

8. dalevy

dalevy Senior member

One question (I can't seem to visit the website from behind my work's firewall): What length of fabric is needed? I'm 5'9" and slender. Any additional fabric needed for patterns and/or patch pockets?

9. novalis

Sorry about that. Here's the relevant link to the SR website and below is the info:

We recommend the following fabric lengths based on your height. All cloth lengths assume a standard 60 inch cloth width. Lengths below can accommodate single or double breasted and patterned cloth.

Your height - up to 5’7”
    • Sports jacket = 1.75 yards (1.6 meters)
    • Trousers = 1.3 yards (1.2 meters)
    • 2 piece suit = 3.2 yards (2.9 meters) includes extra cloth budgeted for complex patterns, self-lining or other requests
    Your height - up to 5’11”
    • Sports jacket = 1.9 yards (1.7 meters)
    • Trousers = 1.4 yards (1.3 meters)
    • 2 piece suit = 3.4 yards (3.0 meters) includes extra cloth budgeted for complex patterns, self-lining or other requests
    To be on the safe side, you should probably go with the longer cloth lengths.

Last edited: May 29, 2017

10. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

11. novalis

Thanks for the interest. Yes, the Kickstarter is geared for people on the East Coast since we have the infrastructure in place right now to serve them.

For those on the West Coast, the idea is to organize a separate trip for both measurements and fittings. If we get enough interest on this thread, then we'll go ahead and organize a Bay Area visit.

12. Nemesis_4

Nemesis_4 Senior member

Damn- this is amazing. If done in Chicago, I would commit in a heartbeat....

13. dalevy

dalevy Senior member

I'm 100% in for a suit although would want the coat longer than pictured. I hope that's not something the tailor is adamant about.

Now if anyone has semi formal to casual suiting cloths taking up space, let's talk.

14. novalis

Thanks, I would be happy to return to the Windy City at some point as I spent some time there.

15. novalis

No worries about the length, the tailor is flexible. I used to wear slightly longer jackets as well but decided to experiment and went with a shorter jacket for the sample.

FWIW, the tailor suggested a longer length during the fitting.